Headlight repair tips and results.

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
glassdoctor

Re: Headlight repair tips and results.

Post by glassdoctor »

Wow, is there really a bunch of crybabies complaining to the mods about ray6? Makes no sense to me at all. The average joe forum member shouldn't give two craps about the motive behind useful and informative postings. If we are here to learn something or share info, why should we care if that info comes from a fanboy of brand X or even from a company other than DK?

Just sayin....

Anyway, my tip today is to encourage the guys in Florida to hit up the dealers for HLR. :D Last week while on vacation.... couldn't help but notice how many dealers had good cars with bad lights. Small used lots of course were packed with yellow lights, but even some of the dealerships lots and nice used lots had quite a few, I thought. Is it a tough sell there? Maybe it was just the areas I was in... around Sarasota btw. In my area, not too many small bargain type lots do HLR, but most of the bigger/nicer lots will do HLR at least on their front line stuff.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

Most of the dealers in my area will only do HLR if they have a buyer. Some of the lots will use a buffer and wax to clean the lens and let it go as, buy as is.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

candyman wrote:Most of the dealers in my area will only do HLR if they have a buyer. Some of the lots will use a buffer and wax to clean the lens and let it go as, buy as is.
I think we all have a few here like that. Fortunately for me, dealers are my bread and butter nad I havent had much biz at all on the retail side. Even with advertising in two local papers.
Paul Weinstein
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ray6 »

How are these cars passing state safety inspections?
I know some state inspections don't cite bad headlights due to the difficulty of measuring and costs of replacement, maybe Florida is doing the same. Maybe they need a viable alternative. Any chance of getting at least a poster or flyer in the station? Checking headlight light output is nearly impossible during the day without special equipment or location, but in general if you cannot see the shape of the bulb or bulb shield, those lights aren't safe.

At some point this is going to change when someone or business gets hit with the liability of unsafe headlights. In perobably all states it is illegal to drive at night with bad headlights, but still a subjective call as to whether or not they are truly defective. Much easier at night. You can use a meter.

Some dealers are doing well with fleet/government headlights. I know of one that reminded them of potential reliability of their employees driving at night with bad lights. The other thing it did was make the city police department aware of headlights and got him additional work on police light bars. These are acrylic, not polycarbonate, but resurface well. Those light bars cost up to $1200! Some trucks are also good hunting. Freightliners come to mind, but there are others. Trucks get stopped often.
ray6
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

ray6 wrote:How are these cars passing state safety inspections?
I know some state inspections don't cite bad headlights due to the difficulty of measuring and costs of replacement, maybe Florida is doing the same. Maybe they need a viable alternative. Any chance of getting at least a poster or flyer in the station? Checking headlight light output is nearly impossible during the day without special equipment or location, but in general if you cannot see the shape of the bulb or bulb shield, those lights aren't safe.

At some point this is going to change when someone or business gets hit with the liability of unsafe headlights. In perobably all states it is illegal to drive at night with bad headlights, but still a subjective call as to whether or not they are truly defective. Much easier at night. You can use a meter.

Some dealers are doing well with fleet/government headlights. I know of one that reminded them of potential reliability of their employees driving at night with bad lights. The other thing it did was make the city police department aware of headlights and got him additional work on police light bars. These are acrylic, not polycarbonate, but resurface well. Those light bars cost up to $1200! Some trucks are also good hunting. Freightliners come to mind, but there are others. Trucks get stopped often.
ray6
I would think school bus fleets might be interested. There are a couple of withn a few miles of my house. Both have big fleets and one I noticed keeps them longer than the other.

In the State of IL, where I am, there are no inspections.
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

They dont bt are passed anyway by the inspections stations. I have found that inspection stations that do headligts or WSR's do fail them. Those that dont offer this service give them a go. Its not enforced as it should be and the police and Highway patrol seldom writes for these two items. However thay do write if the windshield is too dark or in the state of Va they have cracksor breaks on the drivers side. If they would enforce the laws on the book I would have plenty of business.
part-timer

Post by part-timer »

glassdoctor wrote:Wow, is there really a bunch of crybabies complaining to the mods about ray6? Makes no sense to me at all. The average joe forum member shouldn't give two craps about the motive behind useful and informative postings. If we are here to learn something or share info, why should we care if that info comes from a fanboy of brand X or even from a company other than DK?

Just sayin....

Anyway, my tip today is to encourage the guys in Florida to hit up the dealers for HLR. :D Last week while on vacation.... couldn't help but notice how many dealers had good cars with bad lights. Small used lots of course were packed with yellow lights, but even some of the dealerships lots and nice used lots had quite a few, I thought. Is it a tough sell there? Maybe it was just the areas I was in... around Sarasota btw. In my area, not too many small bargain type lots do HLR, but most of the bigger/nicer lots will do HLR at least on their front line stuff.

I am in Daytona Beach and the economy here isn't so good. A lot of the used car dealers don't want to spring for HLR....even when its cheap! I have a couple lots that I do, and they are loyal to me. They told me there was a woman that came through offering HLR at $20 a vehicle!! I couldn't believe it, but it is true. This makes it hard for us all. I've seen her work though, and it sucks. It's amazing how many lots won't spring for the tiny amount I charge to make their front line look good. I've tried to get a few new lots and most don't want to spend the money, especially on the older cars. The lots I service are the little newer car types. The bigger lots have their own, "in house" HLR.

I do feel that the heat and wind here in Florida make things a bit more complicated as far as drying times and the product having time to settle in to remove streaks as it dries. Especially when its very windy.
part-timer

Post by part-timer »

ray6 wrote:How are these cars passing state safety inspections?

ray6
Florida does not have inspections required by law. I wish they did, I'd have much more work....lol
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Not here in IL either.

I learned a while back that the dealers (new car) that want work done are the dealers that sell the cars that have the most issues. Around here, I dont get as much work at GM dealers because those cars dont have as many issues as Hyundia's, Honda's, Chrysler's and Toyota's. They know that their cars have issues. Focus on those dealers for business and you may have more success.

What are you using for collateral? A nice leave behind tri fold brochure with a god looking biz card is essential. What do you look like when you hunt for new business? Do you have a company t shirt with a logo or a polo shirt with a logo?

Ive been in sales for 20 years and one thing I learned many years ago is that a professional appearance on everything you do from the first time you met the customer, present yourself both in person and on paper is critical to your success. If you come across as a guy who is just looking to collect some money and appear fly by night, than your not gonna get anywhere. You have to fib just a little bit and make yourself and your company appear that your bigger than you really are. Those are the guys that dealers want to do business with. The big guys because they know that there is less of a chance of getting screwed.

Also, note that its NEVER about the money and ALL about the relationship you quickly build when you walk into the dealer and do what ever you need to do to build value in WHAT your doing and HOW you do it.

Please dont take this the wrong way. Ive seen many sales people that Ive worked with fail because they also complain about the same things. The economy is bad all over the place, dealers are cheap all over the country and your always going to have someone thats cheaper than you are. Those are never excuses for loosing business.

Refinishing headlights is not hard. If you want to make this into a serious business for yourself than you have to look at this as a sales game because that's exactly what it is. Its salesmanship first and you'll win far more often. A business is nothing without a salesman.
Paul Weinstein
part-timer

Post by part-timer »

I agree with you totally on all counts of what you say. I was actually in Real Estate for 7 years after my 22 years of being a professional auto technician, and your right.....image is very important to acquire new clients. If you dress like a slob...people will figure your work is the same. Quality work and word of mouth though speaks for itself too.....lol