Sealer or no sealer

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
SGT
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Sealer or no sealer

Post by SGT »

Kind of like to drill or not to drill!!!

Well I have used both the 3M - Finesse It and Micro Surface - Micro Mesh products in aviation applications and when used properly produce unbelieveable results. I mean like new, any better and it would have to be new. If I recall correctly, along time ago when this HLR service was taking off I posted a bunch on these products if you feel like searching. They do not use a UV coating and there is no recommended practice in place for using it in aviation applications that I am aware of. I am not an expert on these products or chemicles but I believe you will find the truth you seek searching, chemical interaction with polycarbs and acrylics. Certain chemicals such as petroleum distilates depending on the concentration in automotive restoration kits may actually get into the material and acellerate deterioration. I may not have explained it to the "T" but I have you in the right direction I believe.

Now on the automotive side I have used the 3M process and it is just as terrific. I mean like new. I have also purchased DK kit with Metabo SXE 400 and I have a close quaters right angle drill for polishing as I am just bringing on this service so I have no comparison yet. As with anything DK brings to the market I am sure it will be a great product.

For myself what I think is most important to consider when offering this service is the longeveity of the restoration. The longevity issue may not be the process or a paticular chemical used though, but may be more of a customer care concern after the restoration beyond our control. If someone lives in a region with dail high UV levels, customer runs there car through the car wash often, does not keep the lamps waxed or all of the above, it will certainly shorten the life of the restoration with any process used.

At this point I am not sure if I will provide a warranty of a time incriment for a pre existing condition that will possibly in time happen again. What I feel more comfortable guaranteeing is our process will restore there light to like new condition when we are done and provide them with care instructions.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

the key to any of this is to keep the h/l clear for as long as possible...all h/l come from the manufacturer with a coating on them to keep them that way but after a number of yrs deteriorates ..hense our business....if manufacturers cant't keep them clear for more than 5 yrs why should we?... I give no gaurentee more than 2 yrs..besides what you charge is far more reasonable than replacement..from 60 t0 120 retail..h/l cleaned and no covering will turn cloudy in 6 months
Presko

Post by Presko »

Sealers are a double edged sword.
On the one side they leave a smooth even shine on the surface of the lens.
On the other side, they don't last very long, turn yellow, crack and create more problems.

The thing is, if you scratch the surface of your lens with abrasives or sandpaper you are going to need a
sealer to cover the clouding from the scratches and give the lens a shinny finished apperance.

Sealers do not replace the protective UV layer installed on the lens surface. Common aftermarket sealers
do not prevent the lens from turning yellow.

Avoid damaging the lens surface and preserve your UV layer by deoxidizing with a liquid non abrasive acrylic lens restorer.
It will safely remove the cloudy oxidation without causing any surface damage.
and you won't need to use a problematic sealer.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

I knew it LOL.Busted!!! Thanks Brent for smoking out this carpet bagger . :lol:
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I wish I could take credit for it, but it was several other forum members who e-mailed me about something smelling funny. Some of you guys seem to have a radar for this sort of thing and pick up on it way before I do.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

You don't have to be tied to anything to buy sealer from Delta Kits, or for most of the rest of the companies that sell professional HL restoration products. I think that with the right product you will find your headlights will not only look better, but more importantly will stay looking good far longer.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Sorry, we don't have all of our photos for our headlight restoration products up yet, but should have very soon. Just give us a call if you are interested and we can give you performance and pricing info. etc.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

Like Brent said we are in the process of putting all of the Headlight Restoration System pictures on the website but here is a picture of the UV Coating & Catalyst (Sealer)
Attachments
sealer.jpg
sealer.jpg (38.57 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Korey - How much is your sealer and catalyst?
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

And also how many ounces in each bottle??