Infinity Results - Start to finish

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Infinity Results - Start to finish

Post by candyman »

I picked a vehicle noted for having hard to remove coatings to complete my tests . I restored a 2003 Chevy Impala. I started out with a 320 pad. after 2 minutes I hadnt even scuffed the surface. I reached in my kit and got my 180 sanding disc. 14 pads later I had removed the surface on both lens. I used two 320 pads, a 500, 800, 1200, and 1500. I was not sure what would happen when I used the 3000 polishing pad. I had three people watching me and they werent sure about the results. Within 5 minutes both headlights were polished and looked great. I applied the Infiniti 4.1 coating. The lens looked new. Before I started, the lens were scratched, hazed over, and someone had also applied clear coat or a similar product. It took me 2 hours from start to stop. The results were the same on all the test using the same procedure. I could have used a few less 180 pads, but my time would have been increased and rain was moving in. When I started it was sunny and 52 degrees, about 3:50pm. The 180's edges were worn but not the center of the pad. It started to drizzle rain about 20 minutes after I finsihed. I had the owner turn his headlights on when he departed. I will check them today to ensure it dried Ok. The owner had just put new rims and tires on the vehicle. It looked sharpe after the HLR. I was pleased with all the test results and the product. I have completed 17 HLR's within the past few weeks using the Infiniti 4.1 By following the new sanding method, I get the same results after using the 3000 polishing pad. I used 12 ml of the milky solution and 3 ml of the clear. I had a little extra each time. On the vehicles I did not use for the test, I was able to do the headlights with 8ml of the milky solution and 2 ml of the clear, with little or no waste. I will check the test vehicles every few months to see how well the product is holding up. I will keep you posted.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Nice. Thanks for the detailed report. Those Impalas are tough. Makes me cringe every time I think of 180g. :lol:
candyman

Post by candyman »

UPDATE; I checked over the weekend all the HLRs that I did for the test. They were still good and the owners were happy with the results> I restored a F150 on Saturday. The fog lights were as bad as the HLs. I sanded the FLs and sidemarkers using the same pads I used on the headlights. The results after polishing with the 3000 polishing pad were the same. Clear! I applied the 4.1 Infiniti and the lights looked great. It was Sunny and 49 dgs with wind gust of 40 - 60 mph at times. So far, I am pleased with the results. I have three more headlights scheduled for this week. I still have more than 6oz of the C2P and I like the results of the 4.1 better. Iam close to the shelf life. I plan to use it on taillights and fog lamps as long as it doesnt get hard or cloud up. Some of you that have switched to the Infiniti 4.1 may be facing the same sistuation. Weather reports are forecasting a hot spring & summer for the southern east coast states.
candyman

Post by candyman »

We had light rain all day on Monday. One of the car dealers sold a 2005 Toyota Salara, with fogged over headlights. The customer wanted the headlights replaced and was driving more than 60 miles to pick it up. They called me to see if I could restore the HLs. I told them I couldn't do it in the rain, so they asked if I would do it if they put it in the detail shop. I wasn't sure how long it would be from the time I completed the restoration and the customer picking the vehicle up. I knew the C2P would not be dry, so I took a chance with the Infiniti 4.1. The customer was there about 15 minutes after I finished. The Lens was dry to the touch. The rain had stopped and we had a lite fog at 48 dgs. The sales manager called me a few hours later and reported that the customer was happy with the restoration and they noticed no change after driving home with the headlights on. I could not have done this with the C2P coating. I did the fog lights on the vehicle as well. However, I sanded those lens with a 800, 1200, 1500 pad then used the 3000 polishing pad. I had a blow dryer with me, but the lens were dry enough, I didnt see a need to use it. They looked as good as the headlights when I finished. Now I know this can be done even on a short drying time frame. I have 3 restorations to do today if the weather permits.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

candyman wrote:We had light rain all day on Monday. One of the car dealers sold a 2005 Toyota Salara, with fogged over headlights. The customer wanted the headlights replaced and was driving more than 60 miles to pick it up. They called me to see if I could restore the HLs. I told them I couldn't do it in the rain, so they asked if I would do it if they put it in the detail shop. I wasn't sure how long it would be from the time I completed the restoration and the customer picking the vehicle up. I knew the C2P would not be dry, so I took a chance with the Infiniti 4.1. The customer was there about 15 minutes after I finished. The Lens was dry to the touch. The rain had stopped and we had a lite fog at 48 dgs. The sales manager called me a few hours later and reported that the customer was happy with the restoration and they noticed no change after driving home with the headlights on. I could not have done this with the C2P coating. I did the fog lights on the vehicle as well. However, I sanded those lens with a 800, 1200, 1500 pad then used the 3000 polishing pad. I had a blow dryer with me, but the lens were dry enough, I didnt see a need to use it. They looked as good as the headlights when I finished. Now I know this can be done even on a short drying time frame. I have 3 restorations to do today if the weather permits.
Good job as usual, Candyman!
mend master

Post by mend master »

Tried something different with the Infinity 4.1 After prepping the lenses with 600, 800, 1500, 2000, (all dry), then polishing with the 3000 disc, I shot the lenses with the Infinity through an HVLP paint gun with a 1.0 tip. I wish I had taken before and after pictures, because I have to say I was blown away with how good they looked. Mind you, I have restored literally hundreds of lenses and have used many, many approaches, so I am not one who is easily impressed. These particular lenses were on a late model Honda Civic which typically come out very nice with moderate effort, hence being able to start with 600 grit, but the crystal clear look of these lenses was nothing short of SPECTACULAR! I'm not sure wiping the product on wouldn't have produced the same result, but since I normally shoot another product, I was curious to see how well the Infinity 4.1 would do being shot instead of wiped. I did the original trial program following the directions exactly and had good results. Got some additional product to test its "shoot-ability" using the just described approach which yielded a result that was absolutely excellent . I plan to do more testing by varying grit selection and using it on other makes of vehicles. If the longevity is there, this product would appear to be a home run! :D
pommy

Post by pommy »

<<<< likes to read your posts ;)
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
116gtv

Post by 116gtv »

Hi, first post here.
i'm contemplating switching to infinity 4.1.
Am I correct that the first sets of lights were done just about a year ago, and are holding up just fine?

Is it not advisable to use compound or polish at all before coating because of potential long term adhesion problems, and to stick to 3000 polishing discs as a final step? Is this the case because the surface would end up too smooth using a compound, or there could be residual compound be left on ten lens, either affecting long term adhesion?
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi 116,

The Infinity is rock solid after application onto a surface finished with my compound.

(There's a difference between polish and compound).

My compound contains no polish - it's basically like a 3000-4000 grit, depending on pressure.

You say "switching" to Infinity - what do you use currently?

Cheers,

Pommy.
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

What compound are you using?
Paul Weinstein