Infinity Results - Start to finish

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
pommy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Infinity Results - Start to finish

Post by pommy »

I use the Diamond stuff from GT Glass, with a drill and orange foam pad. It won't work with an orbital sander as too much pressure is required.

I'm currently working on a new system though as I'm trying to cut down time and tools required.

Cheers,

Pommy.
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I tried GT Glass before I moved ot Delta. Ddint like the compound as it got all over the place. Support was very good. Sanding time was less. I just couldnt see using that compound.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

Old Blue 66 wrote:I tried GT Glass before I moved ot Delta. Ddint like the compound as it got all over the place. Support was very good. Sanding time was less. I just couldnt see using that compound.
It can be messy if the foam pad is over-wet. Otherwise, it's just a wipe off product, like a polish.

I use it in conjunction with the Delta Kit - It's always in my kit for those "awkward" ones ;)

Have a great day ;)
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
116gtv

Post by 116gtv »

Well I ended up with an Infinity order so Im hoping it will work out well, considering the high shipping costs to Oz ..

Pommy I was using the Marine Spar mix in the past. I like the fast drying time of the infinity but at the same time miss the covering up ability of the other since I mainly do dealer cars.
116gtv

Post by 116gtv »

How is your new system coming along, Pommy.? Would you mind sharing it?

I recently had 6 cars to do at the same lot, and had mixed results with the infinity prep process. Probably my fault but it certainly wasnt due to lack of using fresh pads :) I was dry sanding all the way incl the 3000 pad but now im wondering if wet sanding with 1500 or 2000 would yield a faster and maybe better finish. Using compound on my rotary after 1200 is faster for sure, but I lose the time I gained in cleaning up the sling/splatter of it (and Im still wondering about long term adhesion problems of the infinity in case of trapped compound on the lens surface..)

I havent ordered the clean2prep yet - is that what everybody is using as a last step before the infinity? I was using mineral spirits with the marine spar, and tried rubbing alcohol this time which left some lenses all smeary.. :roll:
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I tried a new product on a dealer lot today. Im not going to say the name of it since this is a Delta site, but it worked "just ok". Its a polish that only needs three sanding steps. It worked well on a car that wasn't too bad, but not so good on a car that I had to take a 180 disc to. So, for now, I will use the Infinity for the cars that started out really rough which could be about half or maybe a little bit more than that of the cars I do. Ill use the other product on the light damage cars.

My point is this to the last poster. You may look to use two products. Infinity is forgiving (the other product I have is not at all) and as you go, you'll learn what you'll need to use when it comes to cover up. IUM new to this as well and learning this as I go along. Im pretty sure this is what Pommy is doing.

I haven't found a pro or a con to wet vs dry sanding. I think its personal pref. Make sure your sanding for two minutes on each disc. I use a timer because my brain thinks two minutes is a lot longer. That really cut my prep work down to about 50 minutes per car now. Using the other process is 30 minutes. Most of my work is dealers too.
Paul Weinstein
ctmandu1

Post by ctmandu1 »

WOW , those looked great. I hope to be starting soon doing this... great info here...