Tent Retail Business

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
kareekelly
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Anybody Promoting besides WSR day to day

Post by kareekelly »

I'm new to this, actually my husband and I are just getting started. I'm curious if any one has had any luck with setting up a tent in a large retail parking lot, like Costco or Home Depot? We were thinking of trying this on the weekends when the store is the busiest. Of course we'd have permission to be there and work out some sort of buisness arrangement with the store manager first.

Any ideas or insights?

Karee Kelly
Alpha Windshield Repair
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

Karee if you use the search engine and put in tent you will pull up a plethora of past posts on this subject. You can narrow the searh by adding sales or business.
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

I actually started my business working on the edge of a Home Depot. No tent though and no rent. It worked great but I have moved on to other locations. Talk to Coitster if you are in Dallas. He knows the ins and outs. Paying rent stinks. I would rather spend that money elsewhere. Mobile has its advantages and a big umbrella open on a sunny day catches everybodies eye.
BushWacke

Post by BushWacke »

Kareekelly, what exactly was your strategy while working on the edge of a Home Depot parking lot. How did you do?
kareekelly

Popping a bullseye

Post by kareekelly »

I actually haven't done it yet. I'll let you know how it goes when we finally do it.
Karee Kelly
Alpha Windshield Repair
dgarza

Cold Calling

Post by dgarza »

i think bushwack meant to ask scratchy that question.
scratchy

We shall see...

Post by scratchy »

The lot I worked out of for my first 6 months had a home depot plus some other stuff. It looked like it had to be owned by some conglomerate commercial lease unknowns. I worked off the edge in a high visibility area. It worked great 2pm-5:00pm on Saturdays. I ran into problems when 4 or more people would pull up at once all wanting it done quick. Passing the phone around for the insurance kept them busy to an extent but I moved on to a different location which was more of a slow steady stream. You just don't really know until you work a spot for a while. FWIW I also spotted several drug dealers working the lot. It gave me the creeps and extra motivation to go elsewhere.
Right now I will not pay rent on a location. I am not sure if anyone has ever worked out some type of commission, like $2 per car or such. Renting when work isn't showing up is backwards and limits mobility.
kareekelly

Post by kareekelly »

What part of Texas are you in? That's good to know that the 2-5pm time is a good time. Thanks so much for the info.
Karee Kelly
Alpha Windshield Repair
BushWacke

T- Shirts

Post by BushWacke »

Scratchy, i guess my question is how did you attract the customers? Did you use a tent, sign on your truck, etc..? By doing this how many jobs did u average a day?
Thanks,
Steve