Will a cracked windshield pass State Inspection in Texas?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
sallyu

What we really have to be worried about, or address

Post by sallyu »

Hi guys,

I was just reviewing the list of items inspected on your vehicle when you go for your yearly State inspection on the D.O. T. website. I was surprised to find out that a cracked windshield is not even safety issue unless it interferes with the wiper blades. :shock:

I have viewed many Windshield Repair Company websites that claim that their repairs are guaranteed to pass the State Inspection, or money back, and now I see why they are so confident. :roll: :wink:

So all this talk from the insurance companies not allowing a claim if it is in the 8 X 11 1/2 area in front of the driver due to a safety issue is then, I guess just their policy and not really a state law. :? :? :shock:

Here is the statement the D.O.T. website under F.A.Q. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/fa ... windshield

Will I fail my inspection if my windshield is cracked?

The windshield is NOT an item of inspection. However, the windshield wipers are. Be sure that the crack does not cause the wipers to tear and that the crack has not caused the windshield to become concave or convex so the wipers loose contact with the windshield.

Just wanted to share what I thought was quite surprising and interesting to me :)
terryalex29

Post by terryalex29 »

The windshield is not an inspectable item for a regular state inspection. When you get to commercial DOT inspections it is.