Windshield Scratches-Glas-Weld Distortion Free System

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
WSDSteve
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Windshield Scratches-Glas-Weld Distortion Free System

Post by WSDSteve »

If any one uses the Glas-Weld Scratch removal system which system to they use the wet, or the Distortion Free Glass Removal System ($1,395) by Glas-Weld) I am curious if anyone uses it and the questions are
1) Does it work
2) How long does it take to remove scratches
3) What do you charge for scratch removal
4) Does insurance cover scratch removal like wsr
Any feedback would be appreciated, I get requests for scratch removal at least 2-3 calls a day as I do dealership fleets, this would help me against another WSR person in the area if this system or another system really worked.
Thanks,
Steve
Steve, WD
Fixin' Your Pane in the Glass
glassdoctor

Re: Windshield Scratches-Glas-Weld Distortion Free System

Post by glassdoctor »

My experience has been mixed... if it gets you more wsr work then it can be worthwhile. But it can also become a p.i.t.a. if you are busy with wsr and keep getting sidetracked to do scratches. It's time consuming and involved compared to wsr.

I would recomend training too if you really want to do it, just so you don't waste your time and profitable jobs in learning and mistakes.

Answers briefly...
1. yes it works, although some scratches are too much or just not worth the time. I recently did several scratches that came out 100% like new.. one was a full wiper arc on a brand new $80,000 Range Rover with a very expensive heated w/s.

2. average wiper marks, like 1/2 hour actual polish time per foot. But it can vary greatly. I've had some come out pretty quick. I usually expect at least an hour for any job. The worst ones I have done I spent 3+ hours on... full wiper arcs. The Range Rover took around 2 hours+. Some claim it works much fast, like a half hour to do a whole wiper mark. I haven't found that true at all unless the mark is very light. Most scratches are deeper and take longer to get 100%. For me it's 100% or nothing.

3. I used to do them cheap, like $50-70 bucks because it's usually for one of my dealers and pert of the reason I do them at all is to provide them a service and keep them happy. So I don't worry about what I am making really. But lately I have been charging a lot more, to "discourage" some of the jobs I really don't want to do and don't have time for. So the ones I do I get paid better. I have charged $150 on some jobs like the Range Rover. I try not to go below $100 unless it's a pretty easy job or it's just a favor for a good account.

4. No... not that I know of. But I've never tried to do a claim on one. You might get certain agents that would submit it as a repair... but technicly no.

Scratch removal is a different animal. It takes physical and mental stamina and you have to be stubborn enough to keep polishing on a scratch that seems like is not coming out. If you get good at it (better than me) it could be a good value to your business and it's cool when a job goes well and people are amazed what you can do.
WSDSteve

Post by WSDSteve »

Is it the Glas-weld system you use or another company? Also how much do you charge? Do you charge by the job or hour? Thanks for the feedback
Steve, WD
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Yes.. GlasWeld. I don't really charge by the hour, but by the job based on my best guess of time involved and other factors. Who is it for? How bad do they need it done? Does it have to be perfect to be a "success"? How expensive is the glass? Do I want the job? ;)

Others have said they charge around $60/ hr. When I have used $$/hr... I think a fair thing to do is charge the same as the dealer's labor rates, which are $60-70 around here.
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

I agree with Glassdoctor 100%. We also have the glas weld system. IT works and it is a chore compared to wsr. We charge $75 for the 1st hour and then $65 for each additional hour. I took some acid rain (SEVERE) off of a Denali 10 pieces of glass and charged $800.00 the guy was really pleased. It does make a mess though.
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

I believe Glas-weld has come up with a way to cut down on the mess, a plexiglas box of sorts, it stops the material from being thrown all over the place, I havent seen it in use so I cant comment more on it, I do think its the only distortion free scratch system out there...
WSDSteve

Post by WSDSteve »

What's a Delali?
Steve, WD
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

Denali- high end GMC Yukon
John62

Post by John62 »

Hi, do not go with Glas.Weld if your about to invest in a scratch removal system.
They are not the original manufacturer, it is only private labelled for them.
Now it's even worse, they have made attempts to copy the pads and compound. It seems, that they cannot think there for themselves.

Instead, get in contact with the inventor, go to
http://www.ipsglass.com
John62

Post by John62 »

Oops, I forgot another supplier for distortion free scratch removal systems,
I have ordered a system and it works well.
More at http://www.renovatorsystems.com