Broken drill bit

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Layne

Broken drill bit

Post by Layne »

Dang it! My bit broke today and the tip remained in the shield. I injected and cured with the bit tip still there. I informed the customer that the spot was a bit tip...it didn't bother him...just bothered me. It has been quite some time since I had this happen. Anyone have any special tips on removal?

I do have a permanent magnet (from a magnetron) and I am thinking about making that a part of my tool kit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
mafsu

Re: Broken drill bit

Post by mafsu »

It's not a great solution, but the best I've come up with. Drill next to thbit to loosen it then remove it with a probe. Magnet probably won't remove it without some drilling first to loosen it up.
therock41500

Post by therock41500 »

Just drill around it, it flys right out, I hate cheap bits!!
cwrepair

Post by cwrepair »

Layne, You might be able to drill right next to the bit once or twice to open up enough of room to remove it with a magnet as you said or pick it out once you have opened the area around it enough. Then you could fill the area with your pit fill and buff to try and restore the the larger pit area. This is just a sugestion as I have done this before a long time ago and its what I did and It looked fine after I was done. I hope this helps if it ever happens to you again in the future. I dont know if you use drops of resin on the area your drilling or not but I have found that although there is some waste of resin It keeps the bit much cooler durring drilling and prevents breakage of the bit as well as much longgevity of your drill bits. Good Luck The Next Time.....Chris CWREPAIR
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

A good way to avoid this problem is when you are drilling move the drill in a circular motion at the back of the drill. It creates a funnel shape for a whole and when the bit breaks it will fall out. I learned this lesson the hard way. Also since I started the circular motion my bits last a lot longer because they don't get the friction like in a regular drill hole.
David
Coitster
Glass
larry

Post by larry »

A lot of times it will extend above the surface and I have been able to use the razor blade to catch it and after working it back and forth it might pop out or become loose enough that a magnet will pull it out. I also have what I think is dentist tool, don't remember where I got it, that has a small curved tip that I use to remove the O rings from my resin pumps. Sometimes I can get that fine point in around the bit tip and work it back and forth till it pops out or the magnet pulls it out. If that fails, try talking to it, but maybe you have already done that!!!!!! LA
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

The finger nail clippers that are like small diagonal pliers work well for this, you may need to drill on either side of the bit a little.
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Steel reinforced windscreen repair charge extra.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Screenman

Always take the silver lining approach! I think you have the right attitude.

Merci
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Layne,

Getting the bit out isn't a big deal, just drill next to it and work it out with a fine pointed pick or needle.;) Like a sliver in your hand.

Understanding why it broke in the first place is probably more important so it doesn't happen again. So....tell us more about how this happened! A few things that come to mind because I've done this before when I first started repair. One is drilling to deep and hitting laminate, second is heating up bit to much where it looses tensile strength and third is tilting dremel while drilling. Any of these sound like your situation? The carbide bits I use today are so small they don't snap if I heat to much...they just powder.