In Shop vs Mobile Replacement

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

In Shop vs Mobile Replacement

Post by Bois »

I do repairs and I see a lot of windshields that need replacement. People have asked me if I know anyone who does mobile replacement. I'd like to be able to provide pros & cons on mobile vs in-shop replacement. Of course, mobile is convenient for the customer. But there must be some drawbacks. (I don't want to start a feud here among replacement folks.)

Dale...
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: In Shop vs Mobile Replacement

Post by Bois »

Can I assume that this is a touchy subject? Or, does no one really know the pros & cons?

Dale...
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Dale,

There are some advantages to in shop replacement over mobile. One of the biggest ones I can think of is being able to conrol the customers vehicle until it's safe to drive. With mobile, you can't babysit customers vehicle for two hours after install to insure they'll follow your instructions. You just pray they will;)
snoopdog

Post by snoopdog »

We do all our work moblile and yah, you are correct you can't babysit but on all of our invoices we have a designated line in BOLD PRINT safe drive time is _______and the date so if they don't take our advise and something does happen we have in writing with the customers signature.Its a little piece of mind
snoopdog

Post by snoopdog »

Has anyone out there taken the AG1 test? I have and am just wondering your feeling on it.
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

How do you mobile boys deal with pollen contamination on your "clean
I_Hate_Butyl_Tape

Post by I_Hate_Butyl_Tape »

My interest in this subject is on temperature, as mentioned by streekyd.

Some urethanes are good below specific temeratures, your example was 40 F (4.4 C), but require extended curing times. Sika drive, for example, must not be used under 8 C (
I_Hate_Butyl_Tape

Post by I_Hate_Butyl_Tape »

Sorry, all, allow me to finish:

My interest in this subject is on temperature, as mentioned by streekyd.

Some urethanes are good below specific temeratures, your example was 40 F (4.4 C), but require extended curing times. Other urethanes absolutely must NOT be used. At that point, you must switch to a urethane more adapted to colder temperatures, such as Sika Move. Humidity and other conditions also affect this. Don't take chances. Use a product that is well within your requirements.

The best recommendation I can make is that you contact the manufacturer of your specific brand of urethane and inquire about SDAT (safe drive away time) and curing times of your urethane, as well as temperature requirements, and if it doesn't meet your requirements, find a product that does.

As far as environmental contaminents go, I will only install pending environmental conditions. If there is a substantial contaminent of any kind present, ask the customer to relocate the vehicle to a better location.

I have found that most (but not all) customers will understand if the situation is well explained, and actually appreciate that level of professionalism.
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

Just to clarify on the 40 degree F.
My point is with the Primers used for the urethanes they have a 40 degree F minimum usage.
Many urethanes have been formulated to be used down to 0 degrees F. If you use cold weather procedures. Most of the urethane mfg's will provide the procedure if thier product can be used at those temps, or just go to thier web site for info.
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

P.S We all hate Butyl