PPG Sungate??

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
Tim

PPG Sungate??

Post by Tim »

Hi, I just stumbled across this forum. First let me say that i'm not in the glass business and I'm not looking for any scoops.
I just have a question about a windshield for my car. I have a 1995 Chev. Caprice station wagon and I want to replace the windshield in it. I know that PPG made a windshield with a name of Sungate that was optional on my car. They claim that that 'shield will help reduce UV rays and interior heating. the local shops claim that they can't get that windshield anymore. But on PPG's website they still show Sungate's as being available. Is this true or not?
I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone locally (glass shops). Everyone keeps trying to get me to use there standard glass. I really would rather have the PPG glass. Am I nuts? Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of windshield? Thanks
StarQuest

Re: PPG Sungate??

Post by StarQuest »

Chances are the local shops are half telling you the truth. It may not be available from their glass supplier but that doesn't mean it couldn't be tracked down and ship for a extra fee! If your willing pay $30-$40 extra for shipping I'm sure someone will order it for you and install it. On a 10 year old car I seriously doubt PPG still maufactures this glass. So it's harder to locate. Personally I'd just install a aftermarket which would be readily available.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thank you for your help. I found someone today who said they can get a Sungate for me. They quoted me a price of $229 installed at my house too. So I guess that I'll give them a shot and see if they can actually get one for me. He said that he needed to confirm that he could get one on Monday, but that it was still shown as available. Thanks again for your time and help. Tim
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Your "95" Caprice must be of some special value to you! $229 isn't a bad price for OEM with this model. However some of the quality aftermarkets would have saved you $45-$60 in replacement cost with same solar protection.

I'm glad you found a shop to work with and are getting what you wanted. That's all that really matters....isn't it? ;)
glasssgod

Post by glasssgod »

Only a fly by night hackwould install a w/s for 169.00