? for the replacement guys rubber sets?

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
budgetglassplus

? for the replacement guys rubber sets?

Post by budgetglassplus »

is ne body familiar with the rubber set style of windshield and side glasses I have open my mouth and said i would help a friend with his and now on the 3rd glass i figured i ask someone who knows what there doin:eusa_wall one of the vehicles is a 64 plymouth courious is this what is known as a rope in style and how do u install the molding around the glass w/o breakin it and also a 90 dodge van same set up ne body know of ne book or info where i can edgumatake:eusa_thin my self on this :eusa_doh: wonderful use of moldings that chrysler has tormented me with ne and all info would be greatly appreicated and sry bout the spellin it gettin kinda late and at my wits end:eusa_wall thanks jim
Lee

Re: ? for the replacement guys rubber sets?

Post by Lee »

64 MOP cars have clips that hold the mouldings and some have screw on side mlds. The Valiant, Belvedere and Fury have self locking w/strips. Put the rubber on the body, open the lock, lube the rubber and install the glass in the rubber use a plastic stick(bone) less chance of breaking glass. Lock the rubber and install mlds. Make sure you have the correct clips for the chrome the clips should be on the car before you put in the glass. Also you should seal between the rubber and body and rubber and glass. The rubber is there to hold the glass in but will not seal the glass/body without extra sealer. The van is same set up put rubber on body without locking strip, lube, install glass and then install lock strip. Sometimes the lock will push in and sometimes you will need a lockstrip tool to install.There is a special tool to install the chrome lock if your friend has to have chrome but you are better off with the black lock and it will not fade like the chrome. Also needs extra sealer to stop leaks. Rope in is for rubber sets like VW Bugs and some Freightliners. HTH
budgetglassplus

Re: ? for the replacement guys rubber sets?

Post by budgetglassplus »

hey thanks for the 411 lee had to do a 68 mustang backglass to day and that was a rope in not to shabby a job once i figured it out. :eusa_thin