Trying to remember

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
etc1006

Trying to remember

Post by etc1006 »

HI, I used to do some auto glass several years ago. A friend of mine who had a glass business (did it all res. comm, plate, etc., learned from a real glazier) helped me out when I was out of work as a pipefitter. I did mostly door windows for him with a few quick and easy windshields, usually cars I was already familiar with. Right now I have a 93 Taurus and need to replace the windshield. I still have a cold knife with I think a 1" blade. I know old technology:) ... I can't remember how to do the bottom cut, it has alot of space before the pinchweld and the urethane... And, I also remember him saying that some glass is almost impossible to save intact. Is the Taurus one of these? I have a parts car with a good windshield. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Eric
sydfloyd44

Re: Trying to remember

Post by sydfloyd44 »

Bottom has a double bead. If all you are working with is a cold knife, you are in trouble. It will do nothing for you.
AGSS

Post by AGSS »

oh yea, the dw1097s. These were hack outs before the long knife or equalizer came out. I remember many a day with a hammer and chiesel!
sydfloyd44

Post by sydfloyd44 »

LOL!!! The good old days. I think I will go kiss my Equalizer Express now...
etc1006

Post by etc1006 »

Thats what I was wondering/afraid of... Was even considering 1 1/2" blades for it... How bout' cable. I'm trying to save one to put in my car... I don't have the connections I used to for a new one and not alot of cash right now due to the holidays, and it need done for inpection. Thanks, for your replies!:eusa_clap