repairing deep scratches in auto glass

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
luxton

repairing deep scratches in auto glass

Post by luxton »

I was wondering if there is a good method for removing deeper scratches in the side glass on cars. For example I have a customer with a scratch in the drivers side glass on his 2005 300c. I am a previous window tinter and for the past 5 years do PDR. I refered the job to a friend to tint the windows and the customer claims he cut the glass with a knife. I looked at it a would say he did. Unfortunately the other guy has gone belly up and can't come good for it. The customer is an employee for a dealer of mine and is making my life miserable saying I need to take responsibility etc etc. He thought I was doing the work and I should put in a new glass. I want to do something if I can just to get him off my back. I do feel sorry for him. The cut goes diagonally accross the glass and is deep in a couple of spots. Apparrently there is a lighter one that goes vertically up and down. It would not have to be perfect but really good. The biggest complaint with the customer is that the sun catches it in the right light and is very anoying. Also in the deeper spots, you can fel it with your finger nail. The window has tint on it now, if that causes a problem when buffing it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeremy
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: repairing deep scratches in auto glass

Post by Delta Kits »

Jeremy,

Welcome to the forum!

Try this thread for starters:

windshield-repair/2076-windscreen-scratches.html
Delta Kits, Inc.
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Jeremy

If you could let us know where you are, the closest member of the forum that does scratch removal could surely help you out. The scratches you describe are not a problem and should come out quite well.

Merci
CPR

Post by CPR »

Sounds like they maybe on the inside of the glass?? if so you may have to replace.
luxton

Post by luxton »

I am located in Ontario Canada. The problem is that I don't think there is anyone in the area that does this work. The customer lives in Hanover,ont. I live north of Orangeville, Ont. I would be willing to pay someone to repair that knows how to, or If the investment was reasonable, I would try myself. The cost is aprox. $250 to replace the glass and Iwould then retint it. I have considered getting into the windshield repair business as a side, because my dealers say that the glass shops they deal with keep saying the windows cant be fixed or (blow up) while performing the repair. We figure so they can sell new windshields. Anyways I would consider it as a side business if I could get into it at the right price.

Thanks again
Jeremy
luxton

Post by luxton »

definitely on the outside from an olfa stainless steel knife blade.
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Luxton

If you are willing to go to the Big Smoke( to non Canadians it's Hog Town) there is a company there that does scratch removal, but not automotive, If I remember correctly they are called Goodby Grafitti(I lost the link to there web page in a hard disc suicide) I am sure they could help. Scratches left by tinters(that don't carry a cutting board) generaly take about 45 mins to eliminate. You should get out of the situation for less than a brown bill.

If you want more info call me 1 877 772 7774

Merci
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Found it

http://www.goodbyegraffiti.com/company_ ... oronto.htm

This should get you close

Merci
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

Jeremy
Im in Niagara Falls, PM me if you want to talk
John
luxton

Post by luxton »

My guy is in Hanover and I don't want to take his car anywhere. but I can see if he his willing to take it and have it repaired. He is a bit hard to deal with.
If anyone out there comes close by, I would have them repair it.
Email me if anyone does and is interested. Even Guelph or Waterloo areas.

Thanks