Anonymous

re: break wont fill

Post by Anonymous »

Hi,

I
Anonymous

Finding a niche

Post by Anonymous »

Nooo... I think you have the wrong impression of windshield repair. You see, we all started our own business for a couple of reasons. Ie: Independance (from time clocks, over demanding bosses, and underpaying jobs with no gratitude.), Freedom to set our own hours., Self satisfaction for doing a quality job, and MONEY...
Sure, we all wanted to work 40 hours a week or less. I know I did. And well, the first day I did 4 jobs in just under 3 hours. Made $100+.. Excited, does not describe my feelings. My mind was doing 92 in a 35mph zone, my eyes were checking every windshield in sight. All I could think about was, how much was possible to make in say 8 hours, no 10 hours, heck 6 days a week...
Yep, there went my dreams of 35 hours a week, bass fishing when I got the urge, or just kicking back.. I was addictted. The smell of a broken windshield made my pulse race, the sight of one, made me light headed..
What I'm trying to say is, you cannot even think about doing this part-time, seasonal, or when you need a few bucks.. Not, and be good at it.. The tent guys on the corner, they are here today gone tommorrow repair people. The only reason they are surviving there now, is because they have not met you yet. You will be so motivated, and dedicated that you will be running circles around them in less than a month. Yes, you will charge more. Why? Quality, professionalism, and mobility. You will service your customers as they need it. Not wait on them to come to you. I know this. I used to be just like you. I wish you well and lot of luck. Go make some money!!!
Anonymous

re: niche?

Post by Anonymous »

Roger,

Congratulations and welcome to the hard part. Selling yourself or finding your niche as you put it in a highly competitive market area. This will take due diligence and heart on your part. Just look around you, anyone with a vehicle or fleet of vehicles could be your niche. Actually, don't look to find just a segment of your profit potential, put together a plan to capture all segments of that profit potential and work your plan.

I don't know what your business plans are or what commitment level you have set for yourself since you live in two different parts of the country for certain time periods, but I would not acquire a bunch of fleet accounts in either area and then leave them high and dry unless you have someone to cover while your away. This would leave a bad taste in someones mouth and the negative feedback could or would possibly be very damaging. If you don't plan on having any coverage while your away then go after the individual vehicle owner or other sources that won't care that your gone unless of course they have a problem or get another chip.

We all have our own reasons as to why we chose WSR and have different views as to how we should run our businesses. If you plan on being part time then by all means be part time as it is one of the luxuries of WSR as you can grow at your own pace. You can and will be good at what you do if you are committed. Take it from me, I am part time. Only in the sense that I only do repairs on certain days or at certain times and maintain a fulltime career. As I acquire my accounts I put them on my schedule or work them in always trying to accommodate there needs. What ever you decide, don't half a$$ it, give it all you have and you will be successful...full or part time. I wish you all the success you can handle and GOOD LUCK.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Re: re: niche?

Post by Anonymous »

PS. Roger, You are very correct about the people at DELTA KITS and you could not have picked a better bunch of people to have in your corner.

Pay it foward,

Brian

Anonymous

Re: re: niche?

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks GlasDoc and Brian. Pretty cool to have a pep team out there of people I've never met. Still trying to find my niche and not wanting to procrastinate I'm trying a little of everything.

Today I stopped at a whole bunch of small used car dealers. I would walk the lot and then go in and ask if they had a wsr guy. Most did but took my card anyway. And then finally a guy said he had a guy but come by next week and do a couple to see how I do. I did another one free to see if I can get his lot.

I had no idea there was this much competition. I think I'll do better in the rural areas where wsr people aren't a dime a dozen.

I hear what you say about getting a fleet account and then dropping them when I go to Mexico. So far I haven't approached any for that reason.

There's more money going the insurance route and individuals for sure and I'd rather go that way but not too sure about setting up a tent. Those guys are all over the place and most of the time they're not doing anything but shivering and waiting for people to come by. I talked to one of the 5 minute Rock Chip guys at length playing real dumb. Man are guys getting had for $4500 and ten grand apiece. I wonder how they're regarded by the public? Industry? Anyone have any feedback on this.

Cold calling is no fun but sometimes the only way to perpetuate sales. I'm dedicated to making this work on my schedule. There's got to be a way for a traveling repair show?

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement and tips.

Anyone out there run a mobile windshield repair service?

Roger
Anonymous

Re: Finding a niche

Post by Anonymous »

Roger..
Rule# 1... Nothing is free in this world..You NEVER give a car dealer a freebie. Reason # 1: He is a car dealer, he knows the industry, he knows what to expect. And he damn sure never gave anyone a "FREE" car to drive, just to show them what kind of cars he sells.
As a newbie, be aware of your surroundings.. Car Dealers are hustlers, they love freebies and cut rate pricing.. What they very rarely show, is respect. That is something you must earn, and you can't earn it by giving away your living.. On any dealership that I may cold call upon, I tell them my price is $40., they get all shocked and say "your competition only charges $25". I tell them, hey you get what you pay for, and I'll guarantee you, you'll be happy with my repairs, and anytime your not, let me know.. Then curiosity sets in and I usually get a couple to do.. After that.. they are mine.. But no freebies.. Oh sure, I get ask to do a repair so they can see what kind of work I do.. I tell them sure, but give me keys to one of your cars to drive, so I can see the quality of cars you sell.. They know, I have been around the block and I'm all about business..
As, for the cut rate corner guys.. I'd charge a minimum of $15.00 more than they are.. Its the principal of the thing.. You want to be the business professional, not the corner stooge..
Rule#2... NEVER promise any repair to be completely invisible. You can ensure your customer that although you strive to make the repair 100% invisible, normally you achieve 98%.. This covers your butt, in the event that they can still see the pit, impact,or dirt.. Plus, no one ever complained about someone who tries to do 100% and comes close.. But promise just one person and not achieve it, I'll guarantee you they will complain..
Rule#3.. Everyone wants something for nothing.. Only give credit (30 days) to car dealerships, and the smaller ones, try to get paid while your there. Garages do not need credit.. they collect cash from the customer when the job is finished, you should too.
Dr's.. are the worst of the bunch.. Got all the money and not want to spend it.. Just remind them of that familar sign in their office. "Payment is expected when services are rendered"..
Good Luck..
Anonymous

re: Roger

Post by Anonymous »

Roger,

I could not have said it better myself. Glassdoc is absolutely correct on all points. I had to learn the hard way. A friend who is a long time business man taught me this lesson "NEVER GIVE ANYTHING AWAY FOR FREE UNLESS YOU WILL GAIN FROM IT" The only time I deviate from this policy is when there is someone onsite already. I will then give them a coupon for a freebie which over time I will make up 10 fold. The other time it's free is friends or family. Even at that, we usually split the insurance check. I mean I give them a refund of 50%.

One thing I would say though is people are people for the most part. Glassdoc and I are leather skined east coasters. The mentality over here is allot different so take this advice and apply it as needed. I have found in my travels all over the world that people in most other areas are more down to earth and trusting overall. Where we live unfortunately, we have to overcome what I call the scam factor.

Keep us posted.

Pay it foward,

Brian

Anonymous

Re: re: Roger

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks again for the good info. The only problem I have with selling myself as the best out there is that I've only done six windshields. I was thinking after I gained a bunch of experience I could start charging more. I know all about car lot sleazbags as I sold cars for a summer. I just wanted to use these guys for the experience.

Still would like to hear from anyone who's got a traveling repair service.

thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

regards, Roger
Anonymous

Re: Finding a niche

Post by Anonymous »

Roger, don't sell yourself short because you are new at this. The fact you invested time and money into a kit and training shows iniciative. The fact that you have already repaired six windshields shows the desire.. Set your price now.. Charge what you think you are worth + $5.00
Forget the fears, thru practice and repetiton you will overcome any doubts. I've done this now for 7 years almost, and I still see some of the most ubeleivable stone shots that I've been called on to repair. Rule #4.. And its the biggie.. NEVER.. let the customer see doubt and or fear.. If you are not sure, then sell the customer on the fact that its a really bad stone shot and again you will strive to get it the best you can, BUT, you can't promise them perfection with that type/size of break. If you really feel its to bad to attempt, tell them.. Explain that is beyond repair, that they need a windshield. Honesty never hurt anyone. And afer you explain, if you are up to the challenge, explai to them that you would really like to attempt it just for your own curiosity fulfillment. Remember, practice is good.. Good luck
Anonymous

re: niche

Post by Anonymous »

Roger, sometimes the niche finds you. , but dont sit around waiting for that to happen. Do everything you can do to make yourself visible to the market you are trying to reach.
Until you begin to get busier, treat the hours you plan to spend doing wsr as if they were already filled with repair work. What does that mean? It means get some scrap windshields and practice on all types of breaks. Practice drilling. Practice drilling and popping mini-bulls eyes. Practice for the approximate number of hours per day/week that you plan to be doing wsr when the work comes. Yes, you will need resin, seals, razor blades,etc for the practice work...it is an investment in your education...and a pretty cheap one actually (many supply companies will send you sample resins... great to practice with). Get so familiar with your equipement that you can practically set it up blindfolded. Everything should be second nature to you. Then, when you have a repair to do for a bonafide client, you will be able to approach it with confidence. NEVER TELL CLIENTS YOU ARE INEXPERIENCED... they will immediately translate this to "oh-boy..he doesnt know what he's doing". If anyone asks how long you have been doing this, give them a vague response ... something like "Oh, for a while" ... until you can say since 2003 (make them do the math).