First Official Repair and Dirty Crack Question

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

CURE TABS

Post by Anonymous »

Well, I have successfully completed my First Official Repair... On my Mother - in - Law's car. It went extremely smooth. Took a little longer than I had expected, but then again I took my time to make sure it went well... 3 chips have been defeated!!!

Now, I have a question for everyone... Is there a way to clean the inside of a crack? I attempted to repair a very long crack and was unsuccessful. It appeared to have a lot of gunk in the crack... probably dirt and bug guts. If I looked at the crack at a certain angle, I could see dark (almost brown) splotches throughout the entire crack. Mostly dark with the silvery shimmer in between the gunk. Should a clean crack be silvery all the way through? Is there a way to purge the gunk out of a crack in order to clean it out? I tried to repair it but the resin would not travel, at all!!!! I would really like to get more experience in long cracks as that seems to be the norm where I live. I am thinking there could be a lot of revenue potential. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Erik
Pain in the Glass Windshield Repair
Jackson, Wyoming
Anonymous

First Official Repair and Dirty Crack Question

Post by Anonymous »

Erik,
If a crack is older than 2 weeks I will not try to fix it. I haven't found any SURE way to clean one out. Most people will wait until inspection time and the car fails or it really cracks out and then try to fix it. A new crack will fill good and will look good.