Has anybody found .....

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

:)

Post by Anonymous »

A quick question particularly dealing with used car lots ....

Has anybody found that they need to have some sort of disclaimor/waiver signed prior to attempting to repair multiple vehicles on one used car lot?

There are quite a few "Tote the Note" lots in my area, quite "shady" in their operations, but I would hate to have to pay for a windshield that may crack out while attempting a repair.

Handshakes don't always work with these guys
Anonymous

Has anybody found .....

Post by Anonymous »

Dave, first thing to learn about Car Dealerships is: They all want it for free, and no matter what price you give them, next week they will tell you about someone that came in cheaper, but remained loyal to you... Now, before you even think about buying a windshield for a dealer or anyone else, consider this. YOU ARE A PROFFESIONAL WINDSHIELD REPAIR TECHNICIAN. You are not a miracle worker, and if you were, your limit is one per week and you performed it yesterday. Explain to your dealers/customers that as a proffessional, you are attempting a repair that will structurally bond and hopefull comsetically hide any damage caused by whatever. HOWEVER, you are letting them know, upfront that if the repair attempt fails then they are in the same predicament of needing a replacement as they were prior to you attempting the repair.
NEVER.. offer to replace a shield. You are in the business as a professional to repair. If for whatever reason the customer is dis-satisfied (and nothing you can do will appease them) (with exception of a refund), or it splits beyond repair, you cannot be liable. You were attempting a repair to save them money, if it cracks all the way across as you are working on it so be it. It happens, not very often, but it is inevitable sooner or later you'll get the "cursed" shield. Just be upfront about how and why you are attempting a repair, and inform them that on occaision, they just aren't repairable due to unseen stress crackage etc. Most customers compare repair to replacement A+B=$$$, And almost always will opt for repair. I've been very fortunate, having ever had 2 failures in several years of repairs. I've seen all kinds of scam artist (Philly) and trust me I'll never offer to replace a windshield for anyone knowing it was broke prior to me touching it.
Anonymous

re: Dave C

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks. You re-affirmed my thoughts, just wanted to test the waters before diving in.