Headlight restoration?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
chips1144

Re: Headlight restoration?

Post by chips1144 »

Chips1144

You have been asking about H/L restoring sence April and the way I look at it, We all have been telling you to look at Dvelup ever sence then and you have not dones so yet from what I can see...... How much money have you possably lost out on so far.... ?

Don D.

Believe me Don that thought has entered my mind a few times, and Yes you are right, Ive bought a few different recon systems over the years, Most have not been as good as promised, I've wasted plenty of money and I have been trying to play it safe this time, I was interested in Dvelop until someone told me the Dvelop took 20 minutes to dry on cold days, Thats when I started to take more interest in IPS and GT.
Dont think for a minute your help has been a waste of time, It is really appreciated, that goes to all other posters on this subject.
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

chips1144;27663 wrote:Chips1144

Believe me Don that thought has entered my mind a few times, and Yes you are right, Ive bought a few different recon systems over the years, Most have not been as good as promised, I've wasted plenty of money and I have been trying to play it safe this time, I was interested in Dvelop until someone told me the Dvelop took 20 minutes to dry on cold days, Thats when I started to take more interest in IPS and GT.
Dont think for a minute your help has been a waste of time, It is really appreciated, that goes to all other posters on this subject.

The drying time should not be the concern.. Your main concern should be the final product that you are turning out. If I do a "house call" I tell the customer not to go anywhere for about an hour to ensure the final coat has cured. If they come to me most times they will drop off the car for a couple of hours and that is enough time to restore and dry. Today I am going to one of my dealers to pickup a mustang to do in the garage...it's raining. Just my 2 cents
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

chips1144

When they say 20 min.s or so. That is to the hard stage. I will do my cleanup, invoice and BS with the customer as it is curing. that buys aditional time for me. If you are in a rush, just have them turn on there high beams for a little bit. When I leave they are jusssstttt a little tacky, but set. I just tell the cust. not to touch them or drive if posable for an hour or so...

It is worth the expence to buy this kit.... If you have to, just buy the trial kit for 30 - 35.00.

I did that just to try and see what it does. I am like you, I bought to many wanta bees..

Don.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

Stop looking for excuses and just buy the KIT............. LOL If you want to have your latest objection to making $$$$$$$$$ taken care of here it is.Go to Harbor Freight and buy a heat gun from them for $19.95 usually on sale 3 or 4 times a year for 9.95.Dry the lights with heat gun to get lens nice and warm .Coat/blow dry =collect$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

IPS has the sealer and works very well.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

GTECH
IPS is so secretive on what they have, I dought we can not even buy there sealer alone...

Remember, they will not even sell us (experenced ) H/L restorers unless we go to Florada.

I would have thought about buying there system if it was not for that reason. But he would not even give me the time of day. When I mentioned I have the polyhog.... he really clamed up except to say that he had something to do with the develipment of the GT system or compond.

His lost if he is that good...

You can keep promoting for them, even though we can not buy their sysem with out him holding our hands to train us.

You know you can train some people and they still do not know what they are doing once they are along....

Give me a dvd and I can train my self. If I need my hnd held for 2 min.s then I can call with my question.

Just my .04 worth.... Keep the change for the next coment. I like pre paying.

Don D.
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Wow, you guys have been busy posting...

Chips B Gone, Drying time does seem important to me, If I fix headlights under an EZ up tent the lens will have to be dry before I can leave or go on to the next job, I'm trying to utilize my rainy days, It rains a lot here in Oregon.

GT "20 min's or so to the hard stage" What do you mean, is that the sanding done in 20 min's only leaving the coating process?
Turn on high beams is a great logical tip.

Harrellbenjamin I'm good for heat guns and they do work well, Thanks LOL...

I must be driving you guys crazy...
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

chips1144

2o Min's to hard stage is after you wipe on the sealer it takes 20 min's to the hard stage. It is like painting something, it has a hard coat over it but it still needs more time to cure...

Again after you have done the lights turn on the high beems (if need be, have engine running to save the battery) or turn them in the direction of the sun. then do your paper work, clean up around your self and a short BS session with the customer letting them know what you did and give them litachure to give to there freinds for more work.... You just burned about 20 min's..

Don't take it personaly, but have you herd the line "**** or get off the pot"?

We can talk till we are blue in the face but are you going to take that last step? There is not much more we can say anymore...

Don D.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

gt_repair;27683 wrote:GTECH
IPS is so secretive on what they have, I dought we can not even buy there sealer alone...

Remember, they will not even sell us (experenced ) H/L restorers unless we go to Florada.

I would have thought about buying there system if it was not for that reason. But he would not even give me the time of day. When I mentioned I have the polyhog.... he really clamed up except to say that he had something to do with the develipment of the GT system or compond.

His lost if he is that good...

You can keep promoting for them, even though we can not buy their sysem with out him holding our hands to train us.

You know you can train some people and they still do not know what they are doing once they are along....

Give me a dvd and I can train my self. If I need my hnd held for 2 min.s then I can call with my question.

Just my .04 worth.... Keep the change for the next coment. I like pre paying.

Don D.
Could not have said it better.I think that they (IPS) has a hard time realizing that they are not the only game in town anymore.In my search for a sealer Dvelup was the most helpfull and there stuff works great.Hell you don't even have to beg them to sell it to you even.They are also located in Fla. too!!! Step up and make the$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Don D Quote
"Don't take it personaly, but have you herd the line "**** or get off the pot"? "

Yep I know it well and I agree that is the only way.

Its taken me some time because I've been looking at many options, Not just the chemical system but the sanders/buffers as well. I was really Hot for the IPS after seeing some before and after pic's, I was also contemplating a trip to Florida, then I saw the GT system, you know the rest, Lets not go there again.

I've also been considering other Add on's and which direction to take my business, Exterior customizing or Interior work, so this just part of the big picture, Id like to get totally revamped and go for it.
I would do Headlamps full time if there was enough work and the money was good, that would be too simple.
I'm careful because I have a good reputation and don't want to screw things up with the few dealers I have.
I will leave it at that.

Thanks Again