Delta Moderating

This area is to offer suggestions and to provide feedback on the Windshield Repair Forum. Please do not use this area to discuss forum rules or to complain about forum actions in regards to post or users. Posts will be removed that do not follow this
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Delta Moderating

Post by Delta Kits »

Coitster - banned! :)

Kidding, Coitster is not banned

In all seriousness, I took it a little too personally. Mostly because believe it or not, since this forum has been around (2002-ish), less than 25 people out of almost 1500 have been banned (not counting V1agra spammers).

Not a single one of these was because of equipment they use. There have been a few who had a personal vendetta against me for whatever reason, and made it a point to flame my posts. That's not allowed towards any member, and I am a member too. After warnings, they ended up getting banned. So yes, they can go to another forum and say Jeff and I didn't agree, so he banned me!

You can't please everyone. There's a reason this is the biggest windshield repair forum on the internet. It's because it is fair, and most people feel welcome and not like big brother is watching. It's because of the way this forum is operated, not in spite of it.

Glassdoctor, i'm sorry you feel like big brother is watching. I guess I am, I try to read every post. But, I have many other things to do than try to find a victim to ban or something. :)
Delta Kits, Inc.
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

glassdoctor;22788 wrote:This is a perfect example of what bothers me... a guy who has a favorite resin but won't say what it is. This may be out of respect to DK and that is understandable... but it shouldn't matter in light of DK position that this is an open forum.

IMO I don't see the difference between saying a guy uses brand x drill bits, bridges, or resins.

Is it an open forum or not?
That's his choice. He is, just as you are, free to say what his favorite resin is (as long as it's not one of the two that has told us not to have their name in this forum). I can't make him though.

It's not as black and white as "open forum or not." No, not open to spammers, people who like to bash others, etc. Yes, open to people expressing their opinions on windshield repair issues. No, not open to people who violate the Terms Of Service.

So, take from that what you will. If you don't feel like it's an open forum because there are rules, that's your choice.
Delta Kits, Inc.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Jeff I also found your comment concerning an experianced tech offensive twords Coister as well, I, as most here do, have the highest of respect for him.

As for an example of people being banned for a reason that remaons a mystery I would like the explination of Repare-brise. From the posts I read of him he was not one to flame, or rock the boat.
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

Bruno;22791 wrote:Jeff I also found your comment concerning an experianced tech offensive twords Coister as well, I, as most here do, have the highest of respect for him.

As for an example of people being banned for a reason that remaons a mystery I would like the explination of Repare-brise. From the posts I read of him he was not one to flame, or rock the boat.
I stand by what I said regarding MagniBond, in the right hands, does not have a failure rate on long cracks of 50%, or anywhere close. Simple as that. And at no point has DKI said that our resin wasn't formulated for long cracks. It is. We simply do not advocate long crack repair for most technicians because they can use that time to do more regular damage and make more money.

Regarding Repare-Brise, he tried to solicit people to buy his products in the PM system. Someone complained. I warned him not to do it again, and on multiple occasions after the warnings, he continued to do so. Just because someone is a "productive" member of the forum doesn't mean they get to break the rules. If he had simply heeded the initial warning, or the additional warnings, he would not have been banned. If he's a man of his word, he will acknowledge that is the case.
Delta Kits, Inc.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Delta Kits;22790 wrote:That's his choice. He is, just as you are, free to say what his favorite resin is (as long as it's not one of the two that has told us not to have their name in this forum). I can't make him though.

It's not as black and white as "open forum or not." No, not open to spammers, people who like to bash others, etc. Yes, open to people expressing their opinions on windshield repair issues. No, not open to people who violate the Terms Of Service.

So, take from that what you will. If you don't feel like it's an open forum because there are rules, that's your choice.
I think you miss the point. Obviously Coit can choose whether or not to say what brand this resin is. The point is, imo the policies/practices of the forum moderators influence the decison to not say... brand x resin in this particluar case.

DK's postion is that it's ok to discuss a competitor's product, and say that you are happy with it or prefer it to DK. So there shouldn't be any hard feelings or editing etc... BUT obviously some of us feel this isn't 100% true. So we are careful about what we say... we monitor our own speech.

Come on now... you know by "open forum" I wasn't talking about a free-for-all trash talking, spamming,... etc.... I was strickly talking about this subject... freedom to discuss wsr related issues including the products we use in the trade.

Look, I understand if DK needs to take action if someone is flaming, bashing, trashing DK without warrant. Not that we all can't see through that kind of crap... anyone who falls for such ranting stupidity you don't want using your equipment anyway. ;)
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

Remember it's not only about people getting banned... it's also about posts getting edited/deleted adn threads closed because DK didn't like something.

Again... no examples... and I'm sure it's often deserved.

Who are the two companies who are not to be mentioned? :)

Come on... post it and then you can go back and edit yourself later.. in the mean time maybe we can sneak a peak. ha ha
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

I get your point GlassDoctor, but you said you monitor your own speech, and you're careful about what you say. What types of the forum moderators (me) influence do you see that would make you feel the need to do that?

It's hard in print to know how someone's feeling, so I just want to let you know, i'm not being sarcastic, i'm truly interested to know what it is around here that makes you feel you need to watch what you say (other than Terms Of Service) things.

Again, I can explain until i'm blue in the face why I edit certain language, close certain threads, etc., but I can't please everyone. There will always be someone out there that thinks it's due to bias. I can't help that. All I can do is say that if you really look through the 20,000+ posts, there are quite a few that weren't "delta friendly" that went untouched. Usually I only close a thread when it's veered way off topic, or gets into a bashing fest, that sort of thing.

Once again, can't please everyone, but I honestly do my best to be fair in all decisions I make regarding this forum.
Delta Kits, Inc.
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I don't know if I can say exactly... it's just something that is picked up over time. I don't think I'm alone here.

You learn what the atmosphere is... this isn't limited only to the internet and forums, but in many things in life.

Kinda like walking into a buisness.... dealerships, etc... some are laid back, some you are uncomfortable... some in between. You might not be able ot explain in words.. you just know. Ask me what I think of a dealer in their showroom, and then ask me after we leave and you might get different answers. ;) It's human nature.

Like I said, my memory isn't that good, but I know there are things that have been done and said over time that create a "feeling". And there are those who have voiced their experiences in other forums, right or wrong... about some post that got edited, etc. I can't recall a single specific example, but I have read many.

This may be the best forum or it may simply be the most pouplar... can't argue that. But I can say it's weird to see certain issues discussed in other fourms and I'm thinking to myself : "wow, they are actually saying that here? isn't that going to get edited or something? " and it's cool that it isn't cutoff, locked, edited, deleted, and noone is banned.
Delta Kits

Post by Delta Kits »

glassdoctor;22796 wrote:You learn what the atmosphere is... this isn't limited only to the internet and forums, but in many things in life.

Kinda like walking into a buisness.... dealerships, etc... some are laid back, some you are uncomfortable... some in between. You might not be able ot explain in words.. you just know.
I completely understand what you're saying. Just wish this forum didn't give you (or anyone for that matter) that vibe.
Delta Kits, Inc.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Hey they havnt banned me and ive been known to have a strong opinion of my own.