Headlight restoration?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
splitpit

Headlight restoration?

Post by splitpit »

For those who do it, what type of system do you use? What is your cost and time involved in restoring a vehicles headlights? What do you charge per vehicle? Please explain the process for doing it. I'm considering adding this to my services and I would like to know more about it. Thanks!
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Headlight restoration?

Post by Bois »

I use equipment and material from Dvelup (in Florida). I charge $50 retail for a set of headlights ($40 fleet/dealers). It takes me about an hour to do a set. Equipment includes a buffer (3"), a 3" orbital sander (variable speed) with hook&loop sanding disks and an assortment of wet sanding paper (400 - 1000 grit). Materials include Dvelup's Yellow X, Clear Wipe, Slicker and buffing compound. All of the above can be purchased as a kit from Dvelup (if you so choose). I did.

The process is simple. Wet sand the lenses to remove old UV coating and corrosion (hand or power sanding depending on degree), buff lense to remove sanding streaks and then apply new UV coating.
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
ProView WR

Post by ProView WR »

Bois;27864 wrote:I use equipment and material from Dvelup (in Florida). I charge $50 retail for a set of headlights ($40 fleet/dealers). It takes me about an hour to do a set. Equipment includes a buffer (3"), a 3" orbital sander (variable speed) with hook&loop sanding disks and an assortment of wet sanding paper (400 - 1000 grit). Materials include Dvelup's Yellow X, Clear Wipe, Slicker and buffing compound. All of the above can be purchased as a kit from Dvelup (if you so choose). I did.

The process is simple. Wet sand the lenses to remove old UV coating and corrosion (hand or power sanding depending on degree), buff lense to remove sanding streaks and then apply new UV coating.
Bois,

What would you say the cost to you is per repair? Curious as to the supplies cost per repair.

Thanks!
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

I would say 5.00 per car
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I use the Headlight Doctor System its a 3 part system I start with the #1 use a cordless drill and the 3m hook it system use 1200grit disc in most cases if the damage is really bad will start with 600grit then move to 1200grit I then by hand use the 2000grit and 3000grit that comes with the kit. takes about 10min to do the first step this way Then pour #2 on a paper towel and wipe them down Then using #3 and a foam brush apply to the surface the whole process takes about 15 min I get $45 set dealer $90 retail
mhughe29

Post by mhughe29 »

What system is the individual using:

http://bocaraton.com/index.aspx?pid=570

He claims it is a franchise from Headlight Doctor who I have never heard of and I was wondering if anyone here has any info.

Offers a 5 year warranty and the sealer is applied using high pressure.

I also found a video on youtube of him showing some quick views of his process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cOevixfC2k
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Its hard to find info on Headlight Dr I tried months ago, not that Id ever buy a franchise, I like idea of a 5 yr warranty, The Video shows you very little, just spraying headlights with a mini gun, hardly high pressure like they mention, Id like to see more prep work.
His results look no better then any other Ive seen.
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

chips1144;27896 wrote:Its hard to find info on Headlight Dr I tried months ago, not that Id ever buy a franchise, I like idea of a 5 yr warranty, The Video shows you very little, just spraying headlights with a mini gun, hardly high pressure like they mention, Id like to see more prep work.
His results look no better then any other Ive seen.

Same Here..My results with Dvelup are just as good and I have no franchise fees or expensive equipment to buy.
Bois

Post by Bois »

I just can't see where spraying the plastic cures the problem. At first I though it was sandblasting the lens. But, no.
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

Chips B Gone: How can you say your results are just as good with Dvelup.
All the guy on youtube did is add to the problem by spraying over the top... He did not remove a thing... We remove the problem and recoat the lights.
Give your self more credit than that... Say you work looks way better than that.

I just did a set today from CA. for my brother-in-law and he was blown away on what I did and the time I put into it compair to most of the hacks doing what youtube did.... I did a chip repair and his lights to show the differance.