Air vs electric

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Air vs electric

Post by Brent Deines »

It seems most of you are using electric sanders and polishers for headlight restoration. The advantages of electric are obvious, no compressor to drag around, but the air tools are smaller and seem easier to handle.

Is anyone out there using air? If so, did you start with air, or just did you switch for a particular reason?

Is anyone out there now using electric after starting with air? If so, why did you switch?

Can anyone tell me how big of an air compressor you need to run the 3" air sander and polisher used for headlight restoration? Obviously the more portable the better, but there is nothing more annoying than using a compressor that is not up to the task.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
harrellbenjamin

Re: Air vs electric

Post by harrellbenjamin »

Brent I have done alot of headlights here in the Deep South.Started out by hand with a buffer for final polish and the went to a 3" electric variable speed sander of home design LOL.The then Metabo .....its great,but because I have a 40 Gal compressor on my trailer for paint work I have recently started using a 3 Air D/A with 3" hookit pad and soft 3" interface pad.This thing is the way to go as It really sands the lens fast but you have very good control with the sander.When I am ready to polish I just pop on 3M polish pad 3" and polish out.I works really well but is a real overkill as to what you need.If I just did w/shield and headlight repair electric would be the way to go.But if you do have a good compressor system it really feels like the next level.JMHO
chips1144

Re: Air vs electric

Post by chips1144 »

I have to agree with Harrellbenjamin, I used air tools when I worked in the body shop trade, they are light and easy to use and give you much better control of the job you are doing, they are also easier on the users back, Dragging an air hose around is no more hassle than an electric cord, Electric tools are heavy by comparison, Even so electric seems the easiest for most mobile guys, its not like headlights are a big sanding job compared to body panels.

To answer your question Brent, there is no real answer, Some air buffers/sanders use more CFM than others, so you really have to know how much CFM your tools need, then buy and air compressor that will keep up with that, buy one that is too small and you will waste time waiting for the compressor to build up, plus the pressure will be affected too, Compressors are sold on the size of horsepower of motor which is a bit deceiving, Pressure and CFM ratings are the most important.

This takes me back to the post I had about a Grex orbital sander, I found that item on Amazon, it said the sander only needed 2.2 CFM @ 90psi, I thought that was a very small amount of air seeing as many other buffers I see run on 12-13 CFM @90psi, after a while someone on another forum told me the Grex uses around 8-9 CFM @ 90psi... 2.2 CFM would have been great, but its seems to be an error, it also has a 2 inch head which would be great for tight spaces.