A.C.T

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

re:no jobs

Post by Anonymous »

Just found this board last night. Good info and I may be interested in starting a windshield repair service in the local area where I live.
Is anyone using A.C.T's insurance billing service? Or any other such service?
What equipment or kits would I need to get started in this business? and the approximate cost of start up.
Thanks for the info!!
Anonymous

A.C.T

Post by Anonymous »

First things first, jd. Before considering ACT or other networks, get your equipment and get trained. I dont use ACT. I do get paid through LYNX, Safelite, Harmon and Globe Amerada. But be sure first that windshield repair is right for you.

As for equipment: That question will probably stimulate responses from a number of people, each of whom uses a differtent brand, and may tell you that theirs is "the best" ... which it is, for them. I started out with used equipment, which isnt a bad way to go if you are unsure about developing this as a business. However, it is important to shop wisely, even with used stuff.

First contact all the suppliers of windshield repair equipment that you can locate on the internet. Most will have a toll-free number or e-mail address that you can use to request all their product information. Ask also for free samples. Many will send you a promotional video... these are great... you get to see the equipment being handled by real people, possibly get a sense of whether the products are easy to use and transport. Be careful of any company that makes unrealistic claims as to income or ease of operation... viewing all the available free videos will provide you with good comparisons.

I use glass technology products, and have no regrets ... they have been very good to me. My first equipment was used, and was actually a knock-off of a brand name equipment (but I didnt know that when I bought it). Once you have done your homework, and have narrowed your selection down to one or two good systems, start watching e-bay for sell-outs. You can get some really good deals there with the right timing.

Training and technical support from your supplier are extremely important to your success in this business, so be sure that the supplier of the system you select is available to you whenever you need help. Some companies will train you even if you dont have their system or purchase your supplies from them.

I wish you success in whatever you decide to do. Grace
Anonymous

re: A.C.T.; etc.

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the reply.
I feel confident that I have the ability to do this type of work. Not bragging but I'm skilled in composite fabrication and repair, both aircraft and auto painting and body work, and over all good with working with my hands.
I like the idea of being my own boss and this seems to be a good opportunity. Currently I'm putting in 11 hrs a day, 6 days a week at a job that I'm not thrilled with. I figure that much effort invested in myself would produce bigger dividends for me in the long run. I guess I'm a bit skeptical as to whether this is something that can sustain my livelihood or just a dream for me.
Thanks for the tips on watching for used equipment on e-bay.
This board seems to be a very good spot for technical advise for problems and tips so I'll be lurking until I get started myself.
Anonymous

Equipment

Post by Anonymous »

Jd,

The work itself is not that big of a deal. Your real job will be to find the work. Marketing is the key here.

Don't get caught up in the hype of $100 an hour ads. Most of these supply companies are good at hyping wsr.
They have to sell equipment so they will sell the dream first.

Have your own dream (which sounds like you already have) That's a good thing.

What motivates you for wsr. It is a fantastic opportunity if you commit yourself to the business. So take a personal inventory to see if this is right for you.

The company we got our repair kits from is expensivre and there is lack of support so I won't mention them.

If you decide to take the plunge you'll have tons of support on this board and others.

At the same time, don't over analize this business. After much thought and consideration go with your gut and jump in running or run away.
Anonymous

A.C.T

Post by Anonymous »

jd, cracker is correct about the importance of marketing. However, training still comes first. Calling it a "windshield repair" does not make it so. Yesterday I was called by a client whose windshield had cracked. I had to deliver the sad news that it was beyond repair and needed to be replaced. The very sad thing about this is that she thought the rock chip had been repaired. Because I had worked on other vehicles for her, I asked why she didnt call me when it happened. Here is what she told me: " I was going to call you, but I was in town that day, and decided to get the car washed. There was a guy there who convinced me that I shouldn't wait at all. And he fixed it for me." Only it wasnt really fixed. He had sold her a false sense of security that is now going to cost her the price of her deductible, which in her case is $500. Now, I am not saying that everyone who operates at a car wash is doing bad repairs. I mention it in this case, because that is where it occurred. It isnt the 'car wash guy' or the 'roadside guy' or the 'tent guy' per se that are doing bad repairs... it's the 'poorly-trained-only-there-for-the-money' guys, and they can be found in practically every venue. Unless you are willing to make a commitment to getting good training (and understand this is a continuing process), to practicing, to doing the best repair possible, giving good service, and having consistantly high ethical standards, you won't be happy in this business, (or any other actually). Somebody said 'Do what you really like, the money will follow' ... this is very true. I still wish you success. Grace
Anonymous

re: ACT, etc.

Post by Anonymous »

Gold Star and Cracker- Thanks for your inputs!
I'll definitely consider this option and do some research on the area and see if I can make a go of it. Like everything else I do, once I'm in I'm 110% in so the focus and effort to do whatever it takes will be there.
I'm in Central Florida just north of Tampa and it's not like So. Cal where you get a chip the day after you replace a windshield (it actually happened to me). So I'm not sure how well WSR will do here. I'll be scouting the area. Any advice on assessing to see if a WSR service will be profitable in an area?
Again thanks for your advice and knowledge!

Thanks! and one more question....

Post by Guest »

Thank you Cracker and Grace for your excellent advice!!

I just have a couple of things to ad. I suggest you call around to as many different windshield repair suppliers as you can and talk to their people. Get a feel for how responsive they are to questions, because these will be the people that you need to contact if you have questions about windshield repair procedures.

Also, make sure you get a money back guarantee on whatever system you choose. Any reputable company should do this. We have people occasionally that will buy our system as well as their other top choice, and compare them side by side. This is a great way (if you have that kind of money) to decide which is easier for YOU to use.

Quote:The work itself is not that big of a deal. Your real job will be to find the work. Marketing is the key here. -cracker

I think this is excellent advice. With our system, as well as some others, doing the repair is a very simple process and does not take much time to learn. The real test of whether you turn this into a successful and lucrative career will be your marketing campaign. We have people who buy our most expensive kit, every add on you can think of, and you talk to them a year later and it's sitting in their closet. We also have people who barely scrape up enough money to buy the bare essentials, and who now have 5 employees and call us once a week for resupply orders.

Find all the resources you can for marketing advice. Your supplier should be an excellent contact for this, since they are in contact with thousands of other windshield repair techs. Also, this board as well as Rich's have people that don't charge a dime, out of the goodness of their heart will spend their time simply to help out other people in this business.

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
jhiggins@deltakits.com
http://www.deltakits.comEdited by: deltakits Image at: 11/16/02 10:39:22 am
Anonymous

Re: A.C.T

Post by Anonymous »

jd,

The basic rules of business are the same no matter whose equipment you buy or what training you receive.

Marketing and sales costs can be considerable. Insurance for auto, equipment, liability, and health isn't cheap. Extra gear, home office equipment, computer programs & hardware, vehicle costs and all the other overhead has to be figured in to your cost to be in business.

Starting and running your own successful business is a complex task. Your library has lots of information on starting your own business. Many people start and run highly successful businesses while many others fail.

Don
Anonymous

Re: A.C.T

Post by Anonymous »

jd, also check in with the S.B.A. They have all kinds of free information on their website, as well as information you can send for (some free, some for a small fee), free counseling and seminars... they are a big help.
Anonymous

re: ACT; etc.

Post by Anonymous »

I did use ACT for about the first 4 months I was in business. I will tell you this, it was beneficial in two ways.
1.) I did not have ready access to insurance companies as a new WSR biz.
They allowed access to the entire insurance network.

2.) They are incorporated and known by the insurance companies, so by hooking up with them I became known by the insurance companies as well. So when I broke away I did not even have to provide proof of insurance or anything and was able to begin to bill direct.

Granted they are somewhat costly, but it can be tough to meet the criteria of Lynx and other networks as a new company and they help establish you. That's my take. The 14.99 per repair for a short time was worth being able to not have to wait one year to be accepted by the other network companies. Now I use Lynx and Safelite simply because they have cornered the market on windshield billing support for the insurance co's.