Dry sanding

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
CV Windshield Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Dry sanding

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

For those of you who use the hook and loop sand paper do you find that dry sanding, although it is less messy than wet sanding, tends to have more build-up on the discs? How long will a disc last dry sanding?
Roo

Re: Dry sanding

Post by Roo »

Actually, the main reason for wet sanding is to keep your you paper cleaner providing a more universal cutting surface. If the paper clogs with sanding particles the paper will sand uneven. I would think many factors will come into play when determining sandpaper life including but not limited to sanding pressure, amount of oxidation that has to be removed, and believe it or not brand of sandpaper(no body beats 3M in my opinion).
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Also the type of sandpaper makes a big difference, there are several and many of them are not meant to be used on plastic. As for dry paper loading up quicker, we have found that by simply pressing a damp cloth against the paper it cleans off quite well as the grits we are using are so fine. On very course grits this may not work as well.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

Just carry a detail/microfibre cloth with you.A quick wipe and the disc is clean and dry.
t4k

Post by t4k »

harrellbenjamin wrote:Just carry a detail/microfibre cloth with you.A quick wipe and the disc is clean and dry.
Ben - You are wiping a wet or dry disc?
harrellbenjamin

I wipe them dry.Just hold microfiber towel in your hand and give the sander a couple of quick bursts.I will usually use a spray bottle and a piece of 1500 or 2000 for a final sanding.Much less mess that way and faster.Change from paper to 3" compound pad and final buff. Re clean entire lens with yellow-x-/rinse and then I always will final wipe with a blue shop paper towel with rubbing alcohol.This final step strips any residue or contamination for the lens which when sanded is now very porous.Seal with your sealer.
t4k

Post by t4k »

And kids....if you are trying this home, always wear a dust mask when dry sanding!
harrellbenjamin

Man thats the truth!! The polycarbonate dust is bad news!
patriotwsr

Post by patriotwsr »

I just received my Metabo. I am using the interface pad and 3 inch discs. I've always wet sanded while hand sanding. Can I continue wet sanding at all stages with the Metabo? Thanks
ASE Master Technician
Chrysler Master Technician
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Kgobin »

I have successfully restored headlights dry and wet sanding. However, I wouldn’t recommend wet sanding because you are using an electric power tool.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.