Polisher??

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Brennan29

Polisher??

Post by Brennan29 »

Hi all, HLR is something I have been considering adding to me WSR biz. I havedone scratch removel before and that is something I definately want to keep in my arsenal of services offered. Can anyone tell me if the Polisher used for HLR is the same or similar to the one used plain old scratch removal. I already know the wheels and componds used are diferant, just curius about the Polisher and if I could use one tool for both jobs? Thanks guys.
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Polisher??

Post by Kgobin »

Brennan29 wrote: Can anyone tell me if the Polisher used for HLR is the same or similar to the one used plain old scratch removal.
It depends on the manufacturer of the polisher.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Rsenest

Post by Rsenest »

Could someone from Delta send me information on the Headlight Polishing equipment and supplies...?
Thanks
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

Yes I have emailed you some information and if you have any questions please email or PM me you can also call into Delta Kits.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Brennan29 wrote:Hi all, HLR is something I have been considering adding to me WSR biz. I havedone scratch removel before and that is something I definately want to keep in my arsenal of services offered. Can anyone tell me if the Polisher used for HLR is the same or similar to the one used plain old scratch removal. I already know the wheels and componds used are diferant, just curius about the Polisher and if I could use one tool for both jobs? Thanks guys.
What kind of polisher do you have and what speed does it run? We may have the pads and adapters that you need to use your polisher for headlight restoration.

Headlight restoration technicians use a variety of different tools for polishing, and everyone has their favorites, but you can find pads or wheels to fit most brands of polishers that will work for headlight restoration. The biggest challenges for us have been to find polishers that are the right size and shape to work on headlights. Due to the variety of configurations found on the front end of the car you want a 2"-3" diameter polishing head. Another challenge has been finding an affordable polisher that will run slow enough that it will not overhead the lens. Finding a tool that is the right combination of size, shape, speed, and durability is the key. We sell a couple of polishers that we really like, but again, other headlight restoration professionals use anything from cordless drills to full size car buffers, and everything in between.

There is also some debate as to whether you can use one tool for both sanding and polishing. Delta Kits sells an affordable combination sander/polisher that we have had a lot of success with, but we also carry high end sanders and high end polishers for those who like having a specific tool for each process. We have discontinued selling our original less expensive sanders and polishers due to the fact that we were having problems getting a consistent supply of certain products.

If you read back over previous posts in this forum there was a great deal of feedback on which tool is best. A lot of professional headlight restoration technicians like the Metabo sander, myself included, so we do sell that tool. We also sell a professional Makita polisher that is a very high quality tool. We can be pretty competitive on either of these tools due to the quantity we buy. We also sell a private branded combination tool that is much more cost effective, and truthfully a bit lower in quality, but it has become my tool of choice for both sanding and polishing.

Back to you question though, give us a bit more information on the tool you currently use for paint touch up and we'll try to help you figure out a way to make it work for headlight restoration.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Brennan29

Post by Brennan29 »

Hi Brent, Thank you for all the info. I dont own a polisher now, I am just looking into a system now.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

In that case I would recommend reading all the old posts on this subject so see what other industry professionals are using and/or give us a call if you want to discuss the pros and cons of using one tool vs two. I was convinced for a long time that you needed both a sander and a stripper, but I now just use one lightweight tool for both tasks. The investment is less and I can carry everything I need in one tool box.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
mhughe29

Post by mhughe29 »

The 3" disc you sale will they fit the Metabo or do you need an adapter pad?
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

If you use the Metabo you will need a 3" interface pad. The part is HLSTRPPAD STRIPPER INTERFACE PAD and it cost 8.50 the 3" diameter interface pad is designed specifically as a clamping element between the pad and sanding disc.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.