So I'm Going to Start Repairing Windshields...

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
JWG

So I'm Going to Start Repairing Windshields...

Post by JWG »

Hello everyone!

My name is John, this is my first post.

I was a WSR technician for 2 years before I had to leave for more consistent money. With my current job I work in the evenings and have the flexibility to do repairs during the day. I was thinking about doing repairs from 8am-1pm on weekdays and setting up in a parking lot on Saturdays.

I have been doing some research and the things I need to do include:

Forming an LLC
Obtaining a tax ID number
Opening a company bank account
Obtaining $500k liability insurance
Getting set up with safelite, lynx, harmon, etc
Buying tools, resins, and invoices.

I have begun the LLC process and I have access to tools and resin.

I have some questions:

Do I need to use a 3rd party company to EID invoices, or can I just process the invoices myself and wait for the checks in the mail? Is the main reason people use factoring companies is the advance in payment?

Do I need any kind of certification to do insurance jobs? As I said, I was a repair tech but I also hired, trained, and fired contractors to work the 9 locations in my home market. None of us ever had any kind of certificate. Is there a need for any kind of certification?

You guys that have been in the business a while, any advice you would care to throw my way would be much appreciated. I don't plan on expanding or franchising, I have been that route. I just need the extra income. An extra $300-400 a week would make life much easier right now. I have been asked by the owners of one of my previous locations to return, personally. It's a pretty high traffic, high end venue. 95% of the customers have full coverage, and turns a couple hundred customers a day. When I worked there full-time, I would do 30-40 repairs a week when the weather was right. I hit 50 once. But now I would be happy with 5-10 a week.

I have learned a lot from researching this forum. I just have some pointed questions so felt it would be best to post. Thanks again,

John
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: So I'm Going to Start Repairing Windshields...

Post by Kgobin »

JWG,
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the windshield repair industry. I have noticed that the insurance needed, business licenses, etc., varies from state to state, and even from city to city in some instances. Recently, I did some insurance jobs in Texarkana, Arkansas and there wasn’t any kind of certification needed. Also, I did 20 windshield repairs and 4 headlight restorations in a day and a half so I am sure that you be able to make your quota. Good Luck!
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
JWG

Post by JWG »

Yeah I forgot about the business license, but they only run $25 around here.

How about processing the invoices? I write an invoice, call it in with the customer to safelite, lynx, etc., they fax the dispatch, and then what? Do I take the invoice and the dispatch and enter it in online, or what? This is where my knowledge of the procedure ends. The company I formerly worked with used ACT to handle the back-end processing. I just don't want to spend the extra money if it isn't required.

Thanks for your input,

John
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

When it comes on processing invoices I think it depends on the company. For example, I have written an invoice, faxed it into the insurance and received payment within a week and a half. Also, I have entered invoices online to receive payment. Therefore, I think it varies from company to company.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
JWG

Post by JWG »

Thanks for the info. I will keep you posted on my progress. I am waiting for the LLC package to come in the mail, then I will apply for my tax ID and set up the bank account, sign up with SGC and Lynx. Do you know if any of the insurance companies charge you to process the job? For instance, a charge to enter the invoice on their website?

Thanks,

John
bullseyeben

Post by bullseyeben »

I just started last week,
I did it as a sole proprietor and DBA $12.00, got my business license- Free, got $500,000 liability insurance $18.75/month, used my SS# for my tax id for the bank, ordered magnets for my car doors ($30.00 on ebay) for safelite network and got started. Total cost was about about $60.00

I have done all of online application for Lynx and awaiting approval, and i have to have a picture of my van with the magnets for safelite. Oh wait and got on myfax.com for $10.00.

How did Kgobin get so much work in a day and a half. I have been telemarketing, going door to door and business to businees and got 6 customers (3 by telemarketing, 1 by emailing all of the businesses in town, 1 neighbor who saw me do the previous guy, and one lady at her work that I talked to) for the week. All that at a grand opening rate of $19.95. Some even thought that was too much.

I am the only bullseye guy in my area (25,000 people). All the glass shops in the nearest large town charge anywhere from $10.00 - $35.00 on top of the repair just to drive out. Which is odd, they are only 15 minutes away, I plan on going there for a free mobile service(100,000 people).
Kgobin

Post by Kgobin »

The American Coach Association invited Delta Kits to present the benefits of windshield repair and headlight restoration during their RV Rally at the Four State Fairgrounds in Texarkana, Arkansas. After presenting the benefits of windshield repair and headlight restoration we did 20 rock chips and restored the headlights on 4 vehicles.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
JWG

Post by JWG »

Hey Ben, what insurance company are you using, I might go for the monthly.

Has anyone here used ACT, and if so what has been your experience. Kinda pricey, but FAST PAY for $3 an invoice?

John
candyman

Post by candyman »

You can do the sole propriety without the LLC. Go online with the IRS and you will be issured a Fed ID then. Print the copy off and use it for your insurance, bank account etc... When you use your SSN, you are at risk of someone getting your personal data. Too many people think a LLC is needed but a sole propriety is sufficent for what you are doing.
JWG

Post by JWG »

That is true, but forming an LLC gives you protection from your business, and protects the business from you. It keeps your business and personal matters completely separate. Thats why I went with the LLC.