Odor removal

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Nelson
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

trilaminates

Post by Nelson »

Does anyone do odor removal on automoblies? I am interested but can not find an outlet for equipment on this. I think that this would make a great addition to the windshield repair business.

Thanks,

Nelson
Delta Kits

Odor removal

Post by Delta Kits »

Nelson,

You could try Fitzgerald's Restoration Products...Their number is (800) 441-3326, ask for Randy.

They are a good source for all interior repair and upholstery products, and a great company to work with.
Delta Kits, Inc.
Nelson

Re: Odor Removal

Post by Nelson »

Thanks,

Fitzgerald's Restoration only has cover up scents. I want something that removes the odor. Fitzgerald's said that lots of thier customers use Ozone machines along with thier product for odor removal. I want something that removes the odor not just cover it up. I did ask for some of their information since the cover up scents would probably be needed after removal of the smell.

Is anyone doing odor removal? If so what do you use.

Nelson
GlasWeldTech

Odor removal

Post by GlasWeldTech »

You need to be looking for a good OZONE GENERATOR for your purpose.
desertstars

claims

Post by desertstars »

Hey Nelson. I can't even stand the smell in the inside of my own vehicle other than me myself.

(That smell is due to past discarded McDonald whopper cartons, un-emptied beer cans dumped by piggish passengers and floor-crushed cigarette butts and not from me. I throw my garbage out the window.)

Not really.

Some expensive vehicles today include ionizers as an integral install. Assuming no carpet spills of booze and cheap cigar ashes, they are pretty effective. I sold ionizers to hospital burn units years ago when they first appeared on the scene.

In fact, I have three operating in my home.

Short of pulling the evaporative coil and completely cleaning it, (one heck of a job and quite expensive and labor intensive), I haven't figured out a way to do anything other than mask the odors temporarily.

I did read recently about a radiator shop or some franchise that did restore a vehicle to the factory newness smell by forcing a cleaner through the AC system but it is not a simple process and definitely not an add-on to our business.

It's much easier to connect with a few people who are already in the business of detailing cars and trade leads or kickbacks with those people.

I've never met a person yet who wants their carpets and interior shampooed that would sit still for a bullseye on their windshield.
Repair1

Delta Seals

Post by Repair1 »

This will be short and sweet...

LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

To do it right you will need to spend 2 to 4 hours on each car and dealers which I'm guessing thats what your talking about going after I don't believe theres much retail from what I've seen. anyway the dealers won't pay you s___ I know several guys that have tryed haven't seen one last for very long..

Happy Repairing
Brian
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I would generally have to concur that the time vs. investment aspect of odor removal might make the whole deal seem to be unprofitable.

I have heard of some folks using activated charcoal, which will absorb many types of odors, but it must be spread and allowed to remain for some time to do its stuff before vacuuming to remove.

It may actually be more profitable for you to buy some in bulk and re-package in smaller quantities with an instruction sheet and sell to your customers for a markup.

As well, the ionizer idea seems viable. But along the same lines, it may be more profitable to become a dealer for a line of ionizer products and offer them to your customer as a value added supply.

Doing a quick search of the net, I found the following company in Malaysia that claims to manufacture and sell ionizers direct to individuals and distributors. No telling if their products work or if they are reliable, but it may be worth forking up $20.00 retail to test one :?:

http://www.mgt.com.my/homeionizer/index.html
Nelson

Some good points .....

Post by Nelson »

I have looked into Ozone Generators and they would work, I think. The problem is the price. One that would generate enough Ozone costs around $700.00. I do not know what you can charge for odor removal but it sounds like Repair1 know someone that did it and did not make much on it. I would be targeting car lots and I guess they just mask the smell for a little while so they can sell the car.
I was hoping that this would be a good add on. I thought that we could just set up a car with the device inside and let it go while we were out repairing windshields. I guess there is no real fix that is going to make us any money.
autocosmetics

where'd they go

Post by autocosmetics »

Check out the Atmosklear product for odor removal. It removes the odors, doesn't cover them up. I've used it, and it's excellent. I bought it for odor removal when I was doing detailing. I used the fogger for car interiors. My dog got sprayed by a skunk, and it removed all the smell (after tomato juice didn't work!) The only problem is that it's guaranteed to remove the odor, but the product has to come into contact with the source of the odor to be effective. So if something smelly was spilled on a car seat or carpet, you would have to make sure you saturated the source of the odor or it will still be there. They have a toll free number, and they are great to talk to if you need more information on odor removal. Their website is http://www.atmosklear.com you can find their toll free number there.
Nelson

odor removal

Post by Nelson »

Thanks autocosmetics.

I checked out their web site and it looks like that would work for odor removal.

The cost of the product at $50.00 per gallon and mixed at 1:1 looks to go a long way.

What price did you charge for odor removal? Did you have lots of autos that you did? Why don't you still do it?

I am just trying to find something else to complement the windshield repair. I want to do paintless dent repair in the near future. I just think that odor removal would be a good add on.

What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks,

Nelson