schools for windshield replacement

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
dtleft

American National Insurance

Post by dtleft »

I am new to the forum and i would like some information on schools, classes, workshops, ect on windshield replacement. I do rock chip repair now and have a number of clients who need a replacement. Info on school locations, prices, length of time, etc.
My e-mail address is

dtleftwich@hotmail.com
I would appreciate any and all info so i can make an informed decision.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

I am not aware of any schools for windshield replacement even existing. All I know about is hands on training with glass companies.
David
Coitster
Glass
wisecrackwr

Data Tranz

Post by wisecrackwr »

There are actually a few schools that are held throughout the country. I know that they are around 300-500 dollars per day and last for the better part of the week. My sales rep at Essex ARG briefly told me about one that occurs sometime around August every year in Seattle (if I remember right). I hope this helps, let me know how things go, and I am always willing to help if possible. What part of the country are you looking at? I am in Portland, OR.
Don Boccafola

Data Tranz

Post by Don Boccafola »

There are a few good schools. I went to the NGA AGTI. It is a one week class that is held through out the year in different locations around the country. I don't remember exactly what it cost but I think it's about $500.00 plus you have to join the NGA. It was an excellent course that anyone in auto glass should take. There is also Performance Achievement Group in Wisconsin. They are excellent also and I think their course is about $500 also. There used to be a Carlite course that may still be around but I haven't heard much about it lately. Go to the NGA web site or try the AGRSS site at http://www.agrss.com/.
I took the NGA course about 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't have any prior instalation experience. I wouldn't just try to start installing windshields without some training. Even with good training it aint easy. One other thing I found is that the money isn't as good as you would think replacing glass. There is alot of low balling competition in replacements. I can make as much doing repairs with a lot less back breaking.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

odors

Post by Coitster »

I agree about needing training. I trained with a master installer for 6 months before going out on my own. I worked replaceing windshields for over 5 years. I got out of the replacement industry because there is no money left in it. It's easyer to sell a repair and also the liability involved with replacing is far worse then the liability is when repairing. If you don't replace a windshield correctly you are seriously endangering someones family.
David
Coitster
Glass
jwaldrop

Vehicle De-Odor Business

Post by jwaldrop »

hey can anyone tell me where I can learn how to replace windshields and get certified in windshield replacment
nwglasspros

Post by nwglasspros »

I also went through the NGA AGTI Training. Very good stuff. After leaving the class they make you feel confident in tackling just about any job out there.
kennedy0365

Re: schools for windshield replacement

Post by kennedy0365 »

I have a two fold question.First,I am in mississippi and I do chip repairs now.How can I get training to do replacements and also,people have told me there isn`t any money in replacements.Is there money in mobile replacements?Right now we do mobile work only and concentrate on insurance work and feel in replacements we will do the same.Can anyone give any practical advice?
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Like Coitster already mentioned, this is probably not the time to get into replacement. Not as much profits as some are led to believe and it will take more than a weeks course in replacement to become competitive in this industry. I personally have 15 years experience in this field but will tell you flat out the money isn't in insurance work. I specialize in handling fleet trucks. Freightliners,Volva's, Sterling, Mack, PeterBuilt, International, RV and others. Without the proper equipment and years of experience it would be difficult to work on these. That's why I service them....because 75% of other windshield installers won't touch them. Some of these shields are huge!

Just found a niche in the replacement industry that I could still profit from. It also helps that I have a glass supplier that gives me glass at very low discounted prices. It may take years in this business just to get pricing like I've acquired.

So, for you guys interested in getting into replacement, I can only say one thing. It's a long road to travel. Not to say you can't make money doing it but it's nowhere as easy as sticking to repair.
Glacier Auto Glass

Post by Glacier Auto Glass »

My husband and I are from Alaska and made a trip to AGTI in Pasco Washington for the NGA Auto Glass Installers week long class. We attended this class prior to opening our doors, ordering tools, etc. When you open up a glass tool catalog it can be overwhelming - and you can end up buying way too many tools you will never use. THis class was great for giving me a good idea of what we needed and also taught me how to use the tools.

Like the others in this forum - we loved it. They do a good job teaching you the RIGHT way to install glass - not the shortcuts that can sometimes compromise safety. I would definitely recommend the class.

We were fortunate enough to have a guy they wanted to train to teach the class in our class. He was a local glass shop owner and we learned so much from him. He took us to his shop and showed us how he operates, bills insurance, his tools, urethanes, etc. He showed us everything. We still call him if we have questions. The networking itself can be priceless.