Would like advise on starting UK windscreen repair

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
smartornot

Would like advise on starting UK windscreen repair

Post by smartornot »

Not sure if this forum can help as it appears to be mainly stateside, but I am seriously considering starting up a screen repair business and would be keen to hear from anyone who has entered this market in the UK in the last year or two, preferably without already being involved in other SMART repairs or similar business. I realise I can get general information on what the potential might be from manufacturers and trainers, but it’s always good to talk to someone who’s been there, done that, to get some info. on where to find customers without existing contacts as I am not in the motor trade! :?:
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Would like advise on starting UK windscreen repair

Post by Frank EU »

Welcome to the forum. I know many people in the UK who are succesfull in our trade. What do you mean by ''starting a business''? Joining an existing repair network or starting out all by yourself? I would be doing the last, not joining any ''developped and proven'' concept. Screenman is an active member here on the board, he would be able to help you, just contact him. He also has experience with ''developped and proven'' concepts. Use your time, energy and money wisely, be good and have fun. Goodluck.
smartornot

Post by smartornot »

Thanks for the comments FrankEU. I have been in contact with screenman and I am sure he can provide good training and advise. However as he has over 20 years experience I posted the question in case someone else had started up in the UK with no experience in the trade to see how they are finding things. If you are good at your job and experienced as screenman obviously is you can work through a reccession but may not be so easy starting out in one!
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Frank EU »

Well, there is no doubt in my mind that, with the economy as it is, this is an excellent time to be starting a business like this.
Having said this: there are many vendors in the UK and if you indeed have to build it up from scratch, with no contacts whatsoever, and you are currently in a paid job, I wouldn't quit that job for now. To be doing windscreen repair ''part time'' would be a good start, in addition to your job, it is just that you need more time to break even on your initial investment. Who cares, you planned to be longer around here in this world anyway right? Be safe, good luck, whatever you are going to do.