Thining out clearcoat

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Jbrodie

Thining out clearcoat

Post by Jbrodie »

I use delta kits 2 part system and sometimes i find when i put the clearcoat on it dries before it levels out i was wondering is there a way to thin it out after applying the clearcoat on the headlight?
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Thining out clearcoat

Post by Kgobin »

Are you mixing the 2 parts together then applying it to the lens?
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

Jbrodie wrote:I use delta kits 2 part system and sometimes i find when i put the clearcoat on it dries before it levels out i was wondering is there a way to thin it out after applying the clearcoat on the headlight?
I have never had that happen. It usually takes about 15 - 20 minutes to dry completely.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

We have had customers use various paint thinners for thinning but we do not have any way to know what effect this will have on the coating long term so we do not recommend thinning the Delta Kits clear coat. If the product is kept tightly capped when not in use and stored out of the sun it should last several months without a significant change in viscosity, however temperature changes can make the product seem thicker or thinner, so it is best to store and apply the clear coat as close to room temperature as possible.

It is also important that you do not mix the product until it is needed and then apply it immediately after mixing. If for any reason you cannot apply the mixed clear coat within a couple of minutes you should discard the product and mix a new batch. Avoid applying in direct sunlight, especially in hot weather, and warm the lenses up a bit before applying in cold weather.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Jbrodie

Post by Jbrodie »

Thanks i will move the HL 2 part chemicals from the tool box in the back of the truck to up front in the cab with me. I guess the heat down hear does it.
Does exposure to sunlight when not mixed together hav any effect on the chemicals? I use a blue lint free shop towel to apply the clear coat do you guys think that might not be a good idea? The clear coat seems to dry pretty quickly down here.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

We recommend that you keep your chemicals inside the tool box so the containers are not in the sun, and whenever possible keep the tool box out of the sun and at room temperature. However we understand that it is not always possible to keep the chemicals cool and so far have not found that to be an issue. We have not left containers out in the sun for extended periods of time but that is a test we can run in the near future. In the mean time keep them in your tool box when not in use.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
quietman

Post by quietman »

The following is from Dvelop's FAQ page where they discuss the question you are asking.

"My Clear wipe dried streaky or with lines.
There are four reasons why Clear Wipe will dry this way.
1. Hidden compound from polishing.
2. Applying to thin.
3. Excessive wiping.
4. Clear Wipe has thickened in container.

1. Left over compound hidden on edges can be pick up during
application. This will usually begin to show as Clear Wipe
dries and look like gritty streaks.
2.Clear Wipe should be applied generously. After wiping
edges with corner of towel apply one or two passes across
top of lens and then dip towel into Clear Wipe before
proceeding down lens. The lens should be very wet with Clear
Wipe.
3. Clear Wipe should be applied quickly and generously, only
immediately rewiping over missed areas or runs. Once it is
applied it begins to dry so once applied discontinue wiping
and allow time for it to level. Cooler weather will give plenty
of time for Clear wipe to be applied. As weather warms there
is less time to apply.
4. Clear wipe can be thinned with mineral spirits if it has not
turned to gel. The most common cause of thickening is
untightened caps. For the best seal tightend thoroughly then
rap bottom of cap tith electrical or teflon tape.
Near freezing or below temperature will cause thickening.
This is not due to solvent evaporation so thinning should nto
be done. Storing containers in warmer locations will relieve
thickening."

I hope this helps.
Dozi

Post by Dozi »

I have also learned the hard way that applying the clear coat to thinly and excessive wiping causes me more frustration and extra work. I store my clear coat in a normal cooler box, but I don't put anything (e.g. icepack) inside the cooler box to cool it down. I use the cooler box just to keep excessive Arizona heat away from the chemicals.