Quickbooks software

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Quickbooks software

Post by just chippen away »

How many of you use Quickbooks for your bookkeeping? I have been using it from the start 15 plus years ago and have been writing hand invoices then inputting in the computer after I get home when I think about it.. I am thinking about carrying those little notebooks and syncing the invoices into my big laptop as I get home that night. less work on my end then.
Does anyone do this or can it be done??
I am getting tired of double entry. plus that would save on printed invoices in the long run. Just print one piece of paper for the customer.

What do the rest of you do?
Just Chippen Away
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Quickbooks software

Post by Frank EU »

We use QuickBooks, and it is great.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

We use QuickBooks, and a small laptop as well, and it is great.
Roo

Post by Roo »

Frank, do you print invoices on site for your customers?
just chippen away

does it work with the netbooks or just a good laptop? I been buying dell laptops and was thinking of buying the smallest I can to keep it easy to store.

What make and model are you working with? To keep the speed up and would only have QB's in the mobile unit and internet to send invoices off. Then back up restore or sync.

I am not up on all this new stuff so I will need to get up to speed fast... Hell I am still using QB's 05 and when I do up grade the computers I am going to need to up grade the QB.
I am on the need to know basis. If I do not need to know it, I don't want to know it...
I need to know it now.
Just Chippen Away
just chippen away

Roo wrote:Frank, do you print invoices on site for your customers?
Our Equin Vet came out a few times and worked off a laptop and had a verry small printer about the size of a 3 hole paper punch and printed out our bill... That is when I started to think of all this. Visa linked also with internet...
Just Chippen Away
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Unless you are using QuickBooks Online I wouldn't use a netbook. They have very limited capabilities so about all they are good for is accessing surfing the net, e-mail, viewing photos, etc. In fact you can't even burn a CD with them unless you have to have an external drive. A netbook would probably work with QB Online but I think you are better off with a small laptop.

Most netbooks are about 10" and I have a Dell XPS that is only 12" so there is not that much difference, and depending on which model you buy some of the new laptops are just as powerful as some desktop computers.

My brother uses a portable printer like the one you mentioned. It's very compact and works ok but was not cheap. Still, if the idea is to be portable and professional, you can get a decent laptop and portable printer for under $1000 or a very nice laptop and portable printer for around $2000. I bought both a $600 and an $1800 laptop this year and honestly for most things I don't see a lot of difference in performance. Both will run QB just fine and the less expensive one has a little larger screen which I am beginning to like more and more. They will both be obsolete in 3-4 years so unless you are running very resource intensive programs I'm not sure it makes sense to pay 3 times as much. For the car the larger heavier laptops are just fine in my opinion, but if you are doing a lot of air travel the smaller lighter models obviously have an advantage.

If you buy a computer at Costco you have 90 days to return it, so you can actually take a netbook for a test run. Unfortunately selection is somewhat limited, but Costco rocks when it comes to no hassle returns.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

No Roo, we don't print invoices on-site. We looked at it, but decided to not go ahead with it. Anything admin has been done in the office, on a proper machine, this small notebook just holds all the customers' and prospects' details.
just chippen away

New postby Brent Deines » December 13th, 2009, 12:31 am

Brent
Don't you sleep at night? Or do you have an alarm that goes off letting you know someone posted on the forum?
Just Chippen Away
just chippen away

I kind of thought the NETBOOK would not work. I just chated with QB's on line and they just said I do not need to buy a multi use version... That was my major Q about working with two computers..
Now it is time to up grade computers and QB's from 2005 to 2010.
Just Chippen Away