Brand New to WSR, Just Getting Stared!

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
rsbaum

Brand New to WSR, Just Getting Stared!

Post by rsbaum »

If there were 10 or 20 different things that I could do to get started that didn't cost money, what would they be? I'm speaking of prospecting, research, etc. Does anyone have the exact URLs or phone numbers to Safelite Solutions, Lynx, Harmon, and Alliance to get the packets? Where is good place to order uniforms? I do plan on buying the kits from Delta, but with the economy being the way it is, I simply don't have the money. My hope is to do everything I can do to have things in place so that when I buy the kit I can hit the ground running.

Thanks!
Kgobin
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Brand New to WSR, Just Getting Stared!

Post by Kgobin »

rsbaum wrote:anyone have the exact URLs or phone numbers to Safelite Solutions, Lynx, Harmon, and Alliance to get the packets?
Rsbaum,

I’d like to welcome you to the windshield repair forum. Here is a link 2009 insurance networks list to an older post with that information . Also, the search feature is a great place to start for valuable information and proven solutions.
Korey Gobin
Delta Kits, Inc.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

rsbaum wrote:If there were 10 or 20 different things that I could do to get started that didn't cost money, what would they be? I'm speaking of prospecting, research, etc. Does anyone have the exact URLs or phone numbers to Safelite Solutions, Lynx, Harmon, and Alliance to get the packets? Where is good place to order uniforms? I do plan on buying the kits from Delta, but with the economy being the way it is, I simply don't have the money. My hope is to do everything I can do to have things in place so that when I buy the kit I can hit the ground running.

Thanks!
I would not put uniforms before windshield repair tools and training. You can do W/S repair in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt but you can't perform repairs in a nice uniform without the tools. As Korey has already stated, their is a wealth of information in this forum. Do your homework!!!
rsbaum

Post by rsbaum »

I would not put uniforms before windshield repair tools and training. You can do W/S repair in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt but you can't perform repairs in a nice uniform without the tools. As Korey has already stated, their is a wealth of information in this forum. Do your homework!!!
I whole heartily agree with you! I would never buy a uniform first. I'm just doing my homework.. LOL And thanks for your input!
t4k

Post by t4k »

rsbaum wrote:
I whole heartily agree with you! I would never buy a uniform first. I'm just doing my homework.. LOL And thanks for your input!

Good to hear.....
rsbaum

Re: Brand New to WSR, Just Getting Started!

Post by rsbaum »

I got the idea of doing WSR from going to work for Apple Auto Glass in the St Louis area, however I wanted more training. Their training is On The Job! We worked at "Events", gas stations, and car washes. We would wipe down a windshield and then inspect the glass. If we found even a little nick we would tell the customer that their windshield was "CRACKING". We would ask if they had full coverage insurance, if so what company, and if it was someone we could work with, we offered to do the repair (telling them we could get it done in about the time it would take them to pump their gas).

I did some research online, found Delta kits, and then started watching the videos. I quickly realized our repair was far from professional. We worked in cold, wet environments, and we would not dry the windshield. The very first step we were trained to do was to start drilling! I had no idea what a bullseye, a star break, or a combination were as we were never taught about this. After watching Delta's repair videos, I began getting sick to my stomach because the whole time I worked there, I thought I was providing a great service but now I know their work is very shoddy. On a positive note, I think their approach to marketing is innovative. I performed eleven repairs on my first two days. As a group, on one particular Monday, 71 repairs were done. I feel confident that I can copy their model with one major exception... I will make sure my repairs are done correctly!
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Hi, you have come to the right place and you will be glad to have picked DK as your supplier.
The marketing approach you are talking about is far from innovative, but it may be to you and that is just fine, we're here to help right?
It has been conducted for a long time, both in Europe and in the USA, and even Belron does the very same thing in Europe.
I pictured them while they had such a ''special'' day at a gas station (SHELL) in Lelystad, Holland (EU).
Yes, Carglass, the insurance companies' best friend (their all in bed with Carglass) is doing ''inspections''. It is considered to be a trap sales approach and insurance companies just hate other vendors doing the very same thing, but all is okay when Carglass/Belron does it....question....: why?
They sell it (towards the insurance companies) being a promotional thing for REPAIRS. What a laugh!

I like your last sentence: ''I will make sure my repairs are done correctly!'' because there are already too many silly people in our trade not offering proper work and services. Be good.
rsbaum

Post by rsbaum »

Does anyone have suggestions as to the best business structure for a WSR biz? I'm referring to Sole Proprietorships, Corporations, S Corps. and LLCs?

Thank you Frank. I appreciate your thoughtful response and I've always dreamed of visiting Holland.
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Baum is German, you knew that don't you? It means tree. Anyway, I am staying here in the US right now, for me...is is exactly the other way around.
I'd say....: your country is great, more liberty, more service, more safety (ie: visible Police out there), less government, less tax.
And right now: everything is extremely cheap, for Europeans, thanks to the USD - EURO exchange rate. Sometimes, dreams are better than the real thing and right now dreams are defenately cheaper than the real thing. My advice is: dream on for some more time :D . Be good!
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

rsbaum: your question about the legal format cannot be answered by anyone here on the forum. We can only drop some general thoughts, after all..: it all depends on your specific situation, your plans (objectives with the business) and you know your own situation best (I hope).
It all depends and there are many different start-points, many solutions and many outcomes -and they're all different.
We for instance operate with several LLC's here in the US, and LLC-like formats in Europe.
Others just operate as dba's and are not protected by an LLC, Inc. or whatever format. It all depends on where you want to go with your business.
Being a dba is just fine, if the business remains to be relatively small and you stay on the right tracks, one should be doing okay.
But we don't know where you are right now and where you want to go (and we do not have to know either!), there is really just one person who can answer all those questions, and that would be you. Start by asking yourself: where do I want to be in, say, five years time?
Am I going to work with employees, or will it remain to be a single-person business? Do I need the legal protection that comes with an LLC or Inc?
Will I be teaming up with an external partner, or would my own partner at home(if any) be also my business-partner, in that situation, would an LLP be good for us? And how about taxes and insurance? I'd say, summarize all the questions, try to answer those yourself (involve your partner at home in this) and seek professional advice for those questions that remain to be unanswered. It may cost you some cash upfront, but may save on the long run.
If you want to know more about the different business-formats, and legal aspects, just visit legalzoom.com and most of your questions will be answered right away. Than visit a local attorney or accountant if you still have specific questions.