Ready to start

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Nelson
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nelson »

I just got back from my training. I learned enough to get me started. I am looking forward to going out and starting on cars now. I did about 30 repairs of bulls eyes, stars and combinations. I also did 6 cracks. Some of them were pretty hard. I guess after you do enough they will start to be eisier to read. I learned about scratch removal, tail light repair, velour, leather, and plate glass repair. I was able to do one of each of these. I am not interested in the cloth repair but I thought the plate glass repair was simple and could be very profitable. I am going to start next week doing retail work. I have a windshield for additional practice. I did lots of research before buying my system and training. Durring training I got to play with several different systems. Like 15. I played with all the injectors and bridges. I was very impressed about the lack of vacuum on most of the models. Thanks for all the help from this forum on educating me on different systems. I think it all boils down to getting a system that is of good quality and can make a vacuum. All I need now is to do more repairs. Thanks.
Dave M

ACT and the Networks

Post by Dave M »

Nelson,
I wish I had the chance to try 15 different repair systems when I was researching the business. That sounds like a great training session you attented.
It's interesting that most of the systems you tried did not have sufficient vacuum. Would you be kind enough to give us your opinion of the top 5 systems that you used.
Welcome to w/s repair, it's a great business!
Nelson

black spots

Post by Nelson »

Dave,

I tried several different types. I played with Glass Medic, Delta, Glass Mechanix, Liquid Resins, Windshield Doctor, Aegis, several other that I can not remember the names of. Lots of them were the same. Several plastic systems. Lots with external vacuum pumps. I liked the self contained injectors. Like Delta or Glass Mechanix. There was lots of difference in all the injectors and bridges. I liked the triangular type bridges the best. The ones with the injector in the middle could not get to the damage on the edges of the windshield. There were several advantages to the more modern design. The ones that could pull enough vacuum to hang the injector on your finger were the best. I could get ok repairs with most but I guess anyone can with enough practice. I liked the ones that you could get the damage fixed in a timely manner and still make excellent looking repairs.

Nelson
desertstars

Mobile Tech Expo

Post by desertstars »

Interesting, Nelson.

Just my opinion but external vacuum systems aren't worth the money just as you discovered. I remember the first one that tried to replace Novus years ago. Busted more windshields than they repaired if the pressure wasn't adjusted correctly.

Kind of like a physician approaching a simple appendectomy with a buzz-saw.

Overkill.

Also.

The tripod design sure can pull a vaccum and apply pressure but one needs three arms to use it and it is worthless on the curve of curved windshields or anywhere within the edge without using an ineffectual, add-on extension arm.

A triangular or adjustable cylinder placement rectangular system with tight cylinder/stem thread tolerances is more than adequate to effect acceptable repairs assuming competence in the application.

One thing you might consider.

The suction cup itself.

I use a small locking cup similar to the ones that replacement uses for lifting and transporting windshields. When I use that and lock down the rear legs, I can screw down the cylinder to the point that it will crack and almost drive through the windshield. (Actually, I think it could.)

Turning the stem then applies all the pressure one needs.

I may be wrong but as long as you can screw that stem in without resin leak from the impact point regardless of suction cups but using quality equipment with close tolerances, stick with the KISS principle.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I agree with desertstars. I got to use several and the modern designs worked the best. As with the amount of hold on the suction cup, I would just like on that holds the bridge and injector in place and lets you add the resin. If you have a bridge that is held in place then you can adjust the amount of pressure the injector is exerting on the repair more accurately. I have found that if you put to much force with the injector all you do is push the damage closed and con not get resin to flow well into the legs of the damage. You just want enough pressure to make it not leak out resin on the pressure cycle.