locking my post about making resin

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
stihlcarven
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

locking my post about making resin

Post by stihlcarven »

I understand, I actually have no idea what it takes to make resin.I didn't mean that I wanted to make it for re-sale. Just that it would be beneficial and cost effective if a repair tech could safely make a quality resin...which I believe can definatly be done with out using a bath tub...I guess I mis interpreted the opening statement that glares at you when you visit the forum....."Windshield Repair Forum
This windshield repair forum will be used for the benefit of windshield repair technicians, regardless of their equipment manufacturer."....maybe it should be changed to "Windshield Repair Forum
This windshield repair forum will be used for the benefit of windshield repair technicians, regardless of their equipment manufacturer. As long as that manufacturer is us."....instaed of locking out my post maybe you should of just answered it as you did....I surely can't be the only person curious about the topic. Your answer was thoughtful, informative, and was actually enough to detour me from considering it further, as I suspected it might involve clean rooms and laboraties, and even worse,,,,science,. Your reasoning for locking the post set me off a bit is all. Take care.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: locking my post about making resin

Post by Brent Deines »

Your welcome to your opinion and I'm sorry if I upset you. You are not the first person to disagree with the way this board is run and I'm sure you won't be the last.

Other resins are discussed on this board, but I cannot encourage anyone to make their own unless they are a chemist, and no professional chemist would tell someone how to make a windshield repair resin his or herself. There are health factors involved that have serious safety and legal implications to doing so. Although I do not allow our competitors to promote their products here, and I seriously doubt any other windshield repair forum would allow me to promote my products there, we do allow open discussions about competitor's products on a regular basis and several of our competitors are members and contributors to this forum.

One thing you need to understand is that we are constantly dealing with people who misrepresent themselves in order to self promote. Over the years I have developed a pretty good sense of which topics will bring those people out of the woodwork so I occasionally (very rarely) step put a stop to a topic before it goes the direction that it will. This is a bit different than all the other boards that claim to be 100% open to all comments but delete posts and ban users all the time without explanation, which is why this forum was started in the first place. You may not like the way I run things, but at least you know where I stand, which I believe is what has made this forum successful when so many others have failed.

I would like to please everyone, but that is just not possible, so I just do the best I can and hope that the majority of windshield repair forum members understand where I am coming from. Those who just can't tolerate the way I run this board can and have started their own boards, but typically they soon find out it is not as easy as they thought to keep everyone happy.

I hope I did not spoil your day!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
stihlcarven
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by stihlcarven »

I'm not upset. This is an excellent forum and a wealth of information. It was poorly chosen topic for me to post. I responded the way I did before giving any thought to it. Probably one of the reason I have to be self employed. I have actually talked with you on a few occasions and you have been very helpful to me. I am in contact with Kory and he is going to be shipping me a big kit in a few days. I look forward to working with Delta tools and I will be using the resins as well. I am sure that if I post alot sooner or later I will again react hastily and catch myself after the fact. I find myself always searching for a cheaper way of doing things and honostly about half the time it ends up costing more due to needing twice as much of an inferior product. From what I understand, Delta makes fine products and are consistant. Have a great day.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I think I'm self employed for the same reason. :D Thank you for your business. We will work very hard to live up to your expectations.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Jbrodie

Post by Jbrodie »

I wouldn't want to make my own resin but if you guys could make a thinner resin it would hlp me out greatly down here in tampa florida. I'll flex a crack use heat on the crack and I can still see the crack. Windshields get realy hot down here and unless you can repair it in the garage the crack is going to be tight. Brent can you ask your chemist to see if they can come up with a thinner resin than your magibond?
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

Jbrodie: you do not want to be using a thinner resin -in Florida.
You should always use the thickest possible resin, under all circumstances. Also when repairing cracks.
Especially with you being down South, and the nice temperatures, you should, in my opinion, not use a thin resin.
If your damages do not fill, try something else, the problem is (most likely) not your current resin.
chipfix

Post by chipfix »

I highly doubt Delta or any other windshield repair supplier manufacture their own resin and I doubt a resin was ever formulated specifically for windshield repair.
Just do a search for "optical adhesives" and you will see many suppliers with specs similar to what we use and they are used for many different applications.
But do we want to buy this stuff by the gallon? or test which ones are the best or safest?
As far as trying to make this stuff at home check out the ingredients,I do not think so.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Frank I use a thin resin in the summer and I have NO problem filling cracks.I have been using this resin for 5 years and I have tried thicker and the clarity seems to be a little better but not enought that a customer would notice.The thicker resins seem to take longer to fill the crack.I personally dont think there is a big difference between the resins you buy from the big companies.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

While I do not agree with Frank EU that you should always use the thickest resin possible, I do agree that thinner resins are not necessary in warm climates. I use the same low viscosity resin for every type of break in every weather condition, but we do sell higher viscosity resins to those who prefer to use something thicker in warm climates. Generally speaking windshield repair resins will flow better when they are warm, so most requests for thinner resins come from those in colder climates.

I also have to disagree with chipfix. While there are some companies who sell resins that are not made specifically for windshield repair, there are also a few of us who do sell resins formulated specifically for windshield repair that are not sold for any other purpose. You will find similar resins being used in other industries, and some companies do use those resins for windshield repair, but Delta Kits is not one of them. We have tried going that route in the past to save money, but there is always a sacrifice in quality so it just does not make sense. While most of us do not make the resins in our own facilities for quality control and economical reasons, a few of us do have proprietary resin formulations that are not available from any other manufacturer, although we also supply non-exclusive formulations to customers who prefer something other than our proprietary formulas.

Some people think all resins are the same, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Any of you who have tried resins with a 6 month shelf life, resins that shrink up and fall out of the pit, or resins that yellow after a couple of months know what I'm talking about. There are dozens of variations of windshield repair resins on the market these days. Some are very good and some are very bad. The only way to know for sure if a no name resin is good is to test it yourself, but for your customer's sake please only test on practice glass. Also keep in mind that you will either need an accelerated weather machine, a laboratory, several years of testing time, or a combination of these things to properly test a resin before it should be used on a customer's car.

To me using an inferior resin product is like using silicone to bond a windshield in place. Does that happen in the glass replacement industry? It shouldn't, but I can assure you it does. It used to make me sick when a customer would bring in their car because it was leaking and we would find that silicone had been used to install it. Actually using an inferior product for windshield repair is not as dangerous as using an inferior product to install a new windshield, but you get the idea. The customer suffers!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Well said Brent!