repairs in a bottle

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Dave M »

Today while repairing a w/s I noticed that one of my bottles of resin was almost empty so I wrote myself a note (love those post-its) reminding me to replenish my toolbox.
Anyway, I remembered how I kept a record of how many repairs I was able to get from a 1/2 ounce bottle of low viscosity resin. I posted this on one of the other forums 3-4 years ago. Many techs did not believe my final results.
Has anyone else done this or would like to venture a guess on the number of repairs?
These were all actual repairs performed with my GT VP 5000.
gt_repair

legacy

Post by gt_repair »

Before making a guessament, I will ask, do you suck the extra resin back into the bottle or just wipe it away? You are using the recomended 6 drops per job? Sorry for the Q's but that is the only way someone can guess close..

I think you said about 125 chips, When I thought I was getting 75 chips.
Repair1

Post by Repair1 »

I wouldn
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

gt__repair,
I use less than 6 drops (3) per repair and still have to wipe up the excess. I also would never suck up the excess and put it back into the resin bottle.
Your guess of 125 is low! My reason for counting repairs per bottle (1/2 ounce) was to prove to myself that buying the cheapest resin makes no sense.
My count was 210 repairs! If your average repair charge is $35, well, we can all do the math.
To double check that figure, by the end of this year I will have used 7 1/2 ounce bottles, for 2003 only. The windshields repaired should be just over 1500, some having multiple repairs.
After looking at these figures I may have to start using only 2 drops$$
gt_repair

Year End

Post by gt_repair »

Then IF you were to use the recomended amount of drops that GT say to use (5- 6 drops) then my 135 would have been close. BUT you cheeted by using less drops. Now, how am I to get a true count. :D
I was hoping you were not reusing the resin.
You can actualy get good repairs using 3 drops? I never tryed.
I have the VP 5000 and as I look through the mirror I see the resin hit the bottom then I know I have 5-6 drops unless it is cool out then it takes longer and I count it out. I am starting to use the 20/20 and it takes forever just to 5-6 drops to get to the bottom with out using my probe to guide it down.
Are you using the long needle cap to get the resin in the center to minimize waste?
Now I use the MV most of the time. you also made the claim that you were using LV. I know it sets faster and and I think it repairs clearer and is stronger for out in the AZ heat. I only use the LV if it is just to cool to run the MV, or for them stars without an impact point and with 25 legs coming off of it.(man, I hate them)
gold star wsr

resin count

Post by gold star wsr »

gt_repair:

Glass Technology sells 'long needle caps' that reach all the way down to the end of the injector, and deliver the resin right where you want it to be... next to the glass. I use them, and they really help to save on time as well as resin. :)
gold star wsr

repairs per 1/2 ounce

Post by gold star wsr »

oops :oops: nothing like being redundant, is there?
gt_repair

Increase YOUR Sales and Profits in 2004 with 30 min. of work

Post by gt_repair »

Do you still use the black GT case that comes with the VP 5000 & 20/20 kits or did you go to another case? I go through about 4 inserts a year and maybe one case a year because the hinge breaks.
I was thinking of changing to a large tackle type box, not sure.

Don "pegleg"
glassdoctor

Farmers is just weird....

Post by glassdoctor »

gt_repair

Another tool box idea....

I stopped using hard boxes several years ago. I went to the soft side tool bags with the original brown bucketboss... now they are everywhere, in all shapes and sizes and colors.

I may be they only wsr guy using them, but I will never go back to a tackle box for mobile repairs. I liked the look and organization I had with a tackle box, but I prefer the "soft boxes" for effeciency and ease of use, if that makes any sense. They are very versatile and easy to move around with on a fleet lot.

But, If I did mostly retail work, I would probably go back to a hard box that's really organized and impressive looking to the customer. :wink:
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

I changed my box to a med. size tool box (Home Depot) which allows my resin bottles to stand upright and not on their side. I was getting some leakage with the original GT boxes. You are correct about the foam inserts, they don't last very long. I purchased some foam locally and cut out the areas for different pieces of equipment.
I have the long needle-caps from GT, but I still use my syringe to put the resin into my injector.
Does anyone sell the "perfect" case, where the bottles stay upright, pre-formed foam for all the individual tools and last longer than 1-2 years?