What do you do when filled the chip, and then....

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
robert n
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What do you do when filled the chip, and then....

Post by robert n »

I've noticed when filling a chip, especially one with "wings", this is what I see:

Symptoms:
1. during a pressure cycle: no black appear anywhere in the chip the chip appears to be filled
2. during the vacuum cycle: small black lines (air?) appear

I tried cycling a few more times and even added more resin in the injector but the symptoms are the same. Someone suggested "pressure curing". How is that done?:

1. Outside: using a mirror to reflect the sunlight on/around the injector?
2. Inside: How do I get the UV Lamp on top of the bridge/injector?

Thanks in advance for your response,

Robert
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: What do you do when filled the chip, and then....

Post by Brent Deines »

Robert,

I'll let others tell you how they pressure cure, but I personally do not recommend it if you are using a Delta Kits system. Depending on the type of break and the system you are using you may be drawing air from the surface through the cracks while in the vacuum cycle. I'm curious, are you ending in the pressure or vacuum cycle? If using a Delta Kits system you always want to end in the pressure cycle, in which case when you remove the bridge you should not see the lines. If you are using a Delta Kits system it may also be that you are not using enough pressure, and are just moving air around in the break rather than removing it. The pressure and vacuum are both dependent on how far the plunger is positioned into the seal, so if you don't use enough pressure you will also not get enough vacuum to remove the air.

Other systems use a completely different process so there may be other causes for this problem, and they may recommend curing under pressure.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
robert n

Post by robert n »

! am using a Delta Kit system and ending on a pressure cycle. I loosen the center "nut"...then slide/rotate the injector off the chip...that is when the black lines re-appear. I don't think I should have to drill because resin has fill the crack. How is the resin being squeezed out or air being sucked back into the crack?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Hmmm, I'm confused. In your first post you said the lines were occurring in the vacuum cycle, but in the second post you said it was when you removed the bridge in the pressure cycle. I agree that you should not have to drill. It could be that you or drawing air from the surface or not using enough pressure, or it could even be a setup issue. It's much easier to troubleshoot things like this over the telephone. Can you give us a call? Perhaps you could even have a break to practice on when you make the call.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
robert n

Post by robert n »

Hi Brent,
thanks for your patience...I hope I can clear up the confusion in the previous posts.
1. under pressure=no black lines
2. Under vacuum=black lines
3. unscrewing the injector or plunger ..small black lines appear

I tried adding additional resin then more vacuum and pressure cycles and got the same results. I feel repeating this process a few more times will result in the same thing (going around in circles). I know how to increase the pressure...how can I increase the vacuum?
Mr. Bill suggested that I should have mounted the bridge differently (he explained it in detail to me with pictures) and a process of releasing the pressure by using the adjustment screws....it made sense to me :D :shock:

All suggestions are welcome!
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

If you increase pressure in the pressure cycle, you will also increase vacuum in the vacuum cycle as what creates the vacuum is simply pulling up through the seal. You may be pulling the plunger up too fast. Try pulling a bit slower, or even stopping before the plunger breaks free from the top of the seal, releasing the air removed from the break.

In the pressure cycle some air may get trapped at the end of the break or around the edges of a crack. If so, when you set the plunger in the vacuum cycle you should see that trapped move from the end of the break up through the crack and into the injector. If you pull the plunger up too fast, the air may not have time to get up into the injector before the plunger breaks free from the top of the end seal.

You should not be unscrewing the injector or plunger before removing the bridge from the glass.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

Sounds like a moisture problem. Did you do a good dry-out?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Sometimes I just put the injector under pressure and leave it there for five or ten minutes. Lots of time this will cure these type of problems. If its moisture you need to dry it out before starting.

Just for your information, curing under pressure means exposing to UV light while the injector is still under pressure and leaving it there (on the break and under pressure) until cured. Then remove the injector and fill pit and finish as usual.
yammi450

Post by yammi450 »

Doesn't curing under pressure risk curing the resin in the injector at the same time?
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Some brands of injectors will have problems with Pressure Curing it is detrimental to the injector and if you are useing one you have to pass on it.
This is exactly the reason i like to Pressure cure leave the injector under mild pressure and expose it .The resin in the break cures and no air gets back in. This method works well on the big breaks on Verticle glass as well some of the Big Bulleyes when you remove the injector some resin runs out leaving a small air spot at the top Pressure Cure avoids this as well. You have to work with the system you have 8-)