2009 mini cooper windshield replacement

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
autoglasswiz

2009 mini cooper windshield replacement

Post by autoglasswiz »

I am going to install a windshield fw2840 on a mini cooper tomorrow and have never done one. Can anyone give me any advice or pointers. Also there is no top molding at the distributors for this year but for prior years (models) does this mean that it should be reusable?
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: 2009 mini cooper windshield replacement

Post by Glasseye »

How did the job go, on the mini cooper?
Shadetree

Post by Shadetree »

It's possible that it will be re-usable, but are you sure that this wouldn't have been something that would be covered by a warranty. It's possible that they have withheld the parts from suppliers as they want you to take it to the shop.

I have never tackled this kind of project! I would be interested to know how it turns out as well!
glassman60

Post by glassman60 »

top molding is not reusable on this job it has metal in the center that will bend . but you can use universal molding 16mm on this job it does not have the texture vof the oe molding but have done this numerous times with and without customers knowledge start this job by pulling down the dood glass seal from the channel revealing the screws.remove them first in each lower corner is a screw for the bottom molding remove it as well then take a door panel or similiar tool and work under the molding and pry up it will pop off a piece of foam will remain take it off remove fasteners from bodyand put back on molding set aside for now .bottom chrome molding will slide off being careful not to nick the paint . after molding is off remove plastic retainers at the bottom they slide out do not try to pry them up they will break!!!!!!!!!cut out ws with a cold knife entire job should take less than an hour from startg to finish hope this helps
ScottMadden

Post by ScottMadden »

glassman60 wrote:top molding is not reusable on this job it has metal in the center that will bend . but you can use universal molding 16mm on this job it does not have the texture vof the oe molding but have done this numerous times with and without customers knowledge start this job by pulling down the dood glass seal from the channel revealing the screws.remove them first in each lower corner is a screw for the bottom molding remove it as well then take a door panel or similiar tool and work under the molding and pry up it will pop off a piece of foam will remain take it off remove fasteners from bodyand put back on molding set aside for now .bottom chrome molding will slide off being careful not to nick the paint . after molding is off remove plastic retainers at the bottom they slide out do not try to pry them up they will break!!!!!!!!!cut out ws with a cold knife entire job should take less than an hour from startg to finish hope this helps
Thanks for the tip! this will be very helpful in my case... I just ordered a new windshield Mini parts, going to work on this as soon as I received my package. ;)