removing pit resin

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
yukonglass
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

removing pit resin

Post by yukonglass »

ok so after a great day in eugene it warmed up enough for me to get out and practice on one of our Yukon vehicle (all yukon vehicles are great test sites pick a problem we have them) I seem to be having difficullty getting the pit resin of after curing
usmc68

Re: removing pit resin

Post by usmc68 »

Simply hold your single edge razor @ 90 degrees and shave from side to side in different directions, clean, and polish. Call Korey-the man knows this business,plus he's from metro Atlanta-Tucker, Ga!!! Good guy.
yukonglass

Post by yukonglass »

thats what i have been doing however there still seems to a be a film left
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Maybe you are using more pitfill than you need, scrape until flat. It may take a while at first but with practise you should speed up. Tighten your grip on the blade to allow less flex, practise on your practise screen.
yukonglass

Post by yukonglass »

perhpsits a temp athing is that possible
yukonglass

Post by yukonglass »

things to practice on arent a problem I live in the yukon where all windshields have chips or cracks there are three good specimiens in my laneway
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

yukonglass wrote:things to practice on arent a problem I live in the yukon where all windshields have chips or cracks there are three good specimiens in my laneway
Please explain further as to what your seeing. When you say a film is present, is that film only visible over the small pit that was filled or larger than that? If it's larger, your not scrapping properly. Also, if your using the same blade for multiple repairs they become dull quickly. I change razor blades every other repair.
yukonglass

Post by yukonglass »

i am using new blades scrapping at 90 deg trying to keep the blade stiff and just can 't elminte the last of the pit resin it feels smooth but thereis an opaque film
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Are you talking about in the pit area? If so, that is not going to go away. Polishing will help hide it, but it will always look slightly different than the glass around it, kind of like a water spot.

To keep it as smooth as possible be sure to use long strokes so your blade never stops on the resin. That will help the finished repair as good as it gets.

Just for fun, cure a drop of pit resin on the glass (not on a repair) and scrape it off using the same technique you are using now. Does it all scrape off? If so, you are probably concerned over nothing. If not, let us know and we'll throw out a couple more ideas.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.