age of cracked windshield

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
that1guy

age of cracked windshield

Post by that1guy »

hi,

is there a way of telling how long a windshield has been cracked?

what do air bubbles along the crack mean?

thanks
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: age of cracked windshield

Post by Brent Deines »

Generally air bubbles along the crack are a good indication that the crack has been there a long time, the windshield is old, the windshield is delaminating, or all of these things. You want to be very careful when repairing a crack that is in this condition and make the customer aware of your concerns.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
that1guy

Post by that1guy »

hi brent,

when you say "old", how old are we talking?

are you saying that a windshield that's old can get cracked and then within days or a week form air bubbles?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Impossible for me to say how old, but unless there is a defect it normally takes at least 5 years before you start to see signs of delamination around the outside edges of the glass and it doesn't usually get real bad for at least 10 years, although I have seen some exceptions. If the car has been stored in a garage the deterioration process generally takes longer and if left in the hot sun every day it may be accelerated considerably.

I have seen some new breaks in old windshields that start to bubble (delam)around the damaged area within weeks after the damage occurs. I don't know about days, but I suppose it is possible. If the PVB is deteriorating already and then is exposed to air and/or water you might see some bubbles in a very short time period.

Lots of mights and maybes so please understand that this is purely speculative. I haven't even seen the windshield so all I can do is give possibilities. Is the windshield delaminated around the outside edge? Is the shade band at the top discolored? What is the model and age of the car? Can you tell if the windshield is original? What is the condition of the car? All of these things might make guessing a bit more accurate, but it's still just guessing.

Are you trying to decide whether or not to attempt a repair?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
that1guy

Post by that1guy »

hey bret!

sorry for the late response. it is a 2007 saturn ion. i sure the windshield is original since i bought it new in 07.

the reason i ask is because my insurance company says they wont fix it, saying the bubbles indicate it has been there for at least a year :roll:
Last edited by Kgobin on June 7th, 2011, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed link for image since it did not work
that1guy

Post by that1guy »

to Kgobin...

how do i send you the image cant seen to reply to your message

thanks
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

that1guy wrote:hey bret!

sorry for the late response. it is a 2007 saturn ion. i sure the windshield is original since i bought it new in 07.

the reason i ask is because my insurance company says they wont fix it, saying the bubbles indicate it has been there for at least a year :roll:
Whether the glass is original or not the car is only 4 years old so in my experience it would be rare to see signs of delamination around the edges, but there are exceptions to the rule.

I would tend to agree that bubbles around the crack on such a new windshield indicates it is likely the damage is more than a year old, but I don't see how the insurance company can say for sure. As I mentioned before, the care the vehicle has received and the weather it has been subject to can cause the PVB to deteriorate rapidly.

So are you saying that you know the damage is less than 1 year old? Is this your vehicle?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
DryStar
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by DryStar »

that1guy wrote:hey bret!

I'm confused by this post! Your stating that you bought the car new in "07" and asking how old the crack is? When did you first notice the windshield had a crack in it? As for your insurance, if you carry comprehensive it wouldn't matter if crack was a year old and had bubbles in it or not, they have an obligation to repair or replace. If it can't be repaired you would be responsible for any deductible though. A picture of the damage would help greatly.
that1guy

Post by that1guy »

yes this is my car. the crack is due to hail damage. it started of as one little crack and has since spread (a couple months).

im trying to get a pic posted but there is no way of attaching files here :?: i was contacted by a moderator (Kgobin) who said the link to my pic didnt work so he removed it and that i could send it to him and he would post it but i cant seem to reply to his message

any ideas?
that1guy

Post by that1guy »

I'm confused by this post! Your stating that you bought the car new in "07" and asking how old the crack is? When did you first notice the windshield had a crack in it? As for your insurance, if you carry comprehensive it wouldn't matter if crack was a year old and had bubbles in it or not, they have an obligation to repair or replace. If it can't be repaired you would be responsible for any deductible though. A picture of the damage would help greatly.[/quote]

the insurance includes comprehensive and collision coverage but the insurance company say they cant do anything about the windshield. is there any thing i can do?

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask

thanks