Anyone do $15 WS Repairs?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
bill lambeth

Re: Anyone do $15 WS Repairs?

Post by bill lambeth »

David you need to open your eyes because you don't have a freackin clue what you are talking about.I do 10 repairs a day which usually comes from anywhere from 300 to 500 a day!Now this guy is doing 10 @ 15 really I think he is stupid or damn right lazy!Let me just say I am not a very vocal member but this lights a fire in my stomach.
Glasseye
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Glasseye »

My two pennies worth,
what makes a retail customer decide to use a particular service, depends on 3 questions.

1) What knowledge do they have of the product?
2) How much do they need that product?
3) How much are they prepared to pay?

Irrespective of what we understand as quality workmanship, if the $15 guy delivers what the customer expects from a repair service then he has met the quality required. If $15 guy continues to make a good living from it, then he has met his expectations. If not, he will increase his prices or diversify or go out of the business. I believe the $15 guy is not the the risk to the business you think he is. The major risk is the guy who says he does it for nothing. Why ? go back to my 3 points and ask yourself, what competition in my area tries to answer those three questions to the whole population of your area using radio, TV and the internet ?. If the retail customer gets what they want from this competitor and thinks they get it for nothing, where do you think they will go?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

bill lambeth wrote:David you need to open your eyes because you don't have a freackin clue what you are talking about.I do 10 repairs a day which usually comes from anywhere from 300 to 500 a day!Now this guy is doing 10 @ 15 really I think he is stupid or damn right lazy!Let me just say I am not a very vocal member but this lights a fire in my stomach.
my wife tells me the same thing; I do not care what she thinks either, but that is beside the point...
why are you upset with me? I am just telling you about the other guy...if you are going to take it
this personal, then maybe you should call him up and tell him how stupid or lazy he is...

he may offer to repair your WS for $10 - that would really tick you off....

You guys are very sensitive on what people charge...

What are you guys going to do when more advanced Windshields come out with better
technology to protect against high impact hits? Oh wait, you may go out of business....

Would not be the first time an industry has fallen overnight due to better technology...

But hey, I have no clue what I am talking about, you should not have anything to worry about...

have a great day....
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

My point was at $15 the guy has overheads, this would eat into his turnover as in P&L. These overheads would be much the same as the guy charging more and making more.

DavidS someone asked you if you had entered our business yet, you chose not to answer so I take it as no. When you were scrubbing floors as we call it over here, if you had skilfully managed to charge $10 more per job how much extra money would you have in your account now.

By the way Bachman who or what? I have not got a clue.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

screenman wrote:My point was at $15 the guy has overheads, this would eat into his turnover as in P&L. These overheads would be much the same as the guy charging more and making more.

DavidS someone asked you if you had entered our business yet, you chose not to answer so I take it as no. When you were scrubbing floors as we call it over here, if you had skilfully managed to charge $10 more per job how much extra money would you have in your account now.

By the way Bachman who or what? I have not got a clue.
Screen, I understand what you are saying, but once you get past your main overhead, then it becomes less overhead...
maybe replace this or that from time to time, and your main overhead now is resin...If this guy is pulling in traffic
@ $15/repair, even after buying this or that, he is still making more then someone working 8 hours at $8/hr....
I know, who the hell would want to work for $8/hr? maybe someone that wants to eat, so after his tint/kit,
what real overhead does he really have other then some replacement parts and resin? we do not know his
real reasons for $15/repair...like someone else said, whatever he does make maybe good enough for him,
otherwise, why would he be out there losing money? He surely would not last long if he was losing money....

and it was a bachman joke...I do not know your political views, nor do I care...
I was not bashing anyones political views...

no, I have not started anything yet...I may order a kit and dabble around, I may, i may not...
SeeClearly

Post by SeeClearly »

Screenman....don't get me wrong, I agree with you that they give industry a bad name.

DavidS....this guy may be doing a good job, but what I have found with our business over the years is that people who do these types of repairs at low cost are not necessarily incorporated in business, nor do they have the approporiate insurances to cover them to even be a part of the networks. They are usually "weekend" warriors that are out for a few extra bucks for w/e they need. Unfortunately, often times they do not do quality repairs, are not properly trained, do not have a proper kit, and do not follow proper glass repair processes as do most. I know this from the fact that where we are, they are cropping up all over the place. Usually I do not care since I do a different market then they do, but it makes me throw up a bit in my mouth every time I stop and watch things like this happening. I do stop and ask questions, and unfortunately what they explain is not correct it is simply wrong. I agree that this guy might be doing great repairs, but what I have found first hand is that they often times should not even be doing repairs. They are not do the customers or the industry any justice.
SeeClearly

Post by SeeClearly »

DavidS...where you located?
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

SeeClearly wrote:Screenman....don't get me wrong, I agree with you that they give industry a bad name.

DavidS....this guy may be doing a good job, but what I have found with our business over the years is that people who do these types of repairs at low cost are not necessarily incorporated in business, nor do they have the approporiate insurances to cover them to even be a part of the networks. They are usually "weekend" warriors that are out for a few extra bucks for w/e they need. Unfortunately, often times they do not do quality repairs, are not properly trained, do not have a proper kit, and do not follow proper glass repair processes as do most. I know this from the fact that where we are, they are cropping up all over the place. Usually I do not care since I do a different market then they do, but it makes me throw up a bit in my mouth every time I stop and watch things like this happening. I do stop and ask questions, and unfortunately what they explain is not correct it is simply wrong. I agree that this guy might be doing great repairs, but what I have found first hand is that they often times should not even be doing repairs. They are not do the customers or the industry any justice.
He may work 6 days week, he may work 2, he may have ins, he may not, in the end thats his decision...I am sure there are plenty
of hacks out there; there are hacks in every type of trade, but I do not pass judgement as easy as you guys do about not being properly
trained...I would say that 95%+ WS techs are not properly trained, as there are so few training places, most may not have the capital
to travel 2000-2500+ miles, $1000 for week class, up to $100/day for hotel, then food expences...some may have the luxury of being trained,
and good for them, as for everyone else, well, I can not hold that against them as there is not a training school in every major city, and
then after all that, hope that you succeed in business that has a 95% failure rate. If schools were easy access, and techs still did a poor
job, then I may could come down on them a bit more because of their lack of training. I can not blame a person for poor skills if there
is no training in the immediate area; I am sure everyone would like a training class, everyone may not have the ability....
Windshield911
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Windshield911 »

I think if it became required to have a certain amount of insurance whether you worked on straight cash or not would phase out alot of these people. But since its only required to be on the networks, I agree with David that there really isn't much you can do about it or worry about it. Then again, who would set the requirements that you had to have a certain amount of insurance, the govt? Don't know if we want them butting in our careers. I should also add, that when it comes to stuff like this, outside of actually doing a repair, I'm a complete idiot. So take it for what its worth.
Windshield911
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Windshield911 »

I'm actually being sarcastic about the idiot part