What method/system are you using on the dealer lots?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What method/system are you using on the dealer lots?

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I guess I need a little direction. My HL biz is growing fast and I need to save time where I can and not sacrifuce quality. My reputation is everything to me.

Having said this, want to say I love the Infinity. Its a great product but it dosent seem like its the right fit for dealer lots. The process is long (IMO) if IM doing it right. This is a great product for retail side.

So here I pose the question: What method works best on crusty lens's at the dealer lot? They dont care about warranty. They just want to make sure it looks good for the 90 days it may sit on their lot. Whatare you using?
Paul Weinstein
Old Blue 66

Re: What method/system are you using on the dealer lots?

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Is this a taboo question on a Delta board?
Paul Weinstein
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

I use the same method, no matter who I am working for......and that's Delta.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Again, since I am new maybe I just need to work on my time. I was told by someone that they could use Delta and be done in 30 mins. Right now Im at about 50-one hour work time.
Paul Weinstein
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

The average pair of lens take me approx. 45 minutes to complete.
pommy

Post by pommy »

45-60min here too - experience won't speed you up massively.

It IS pretty long-winded to do HLR, I agree.

There's no real way to cut it down either, it would appear...

Using the Delta Kit - You either repair them all properly, or not at all.

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Normally 45 minutes to 1 hour. Thats talking to the customer, taping off, clean up etc.. There is no 15 - 20 minute restoration unless you are using a quick fix solution /method. A majority of the lenses I come across are pretty bad. Dont rush the job and your results will be almost the same every time. Some will skip a pad to save money. You should be clearing about $40 after the cost of the material used. That doesnt take account of your overhead, like gas, advertizing, etc... Some areas HLRs Techs may clear as much as $60 or more. Iam in a small town with a high unemployment rate.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I get $40 from dealers and $65 retail. I do have one dealer on a test thats just one of a huge dealer group that I get $35. Not happy withthat but if I can stay busy on the same street all day or for two days, Ive saved travel and time.

It may cut a a few minutes to start with 500 discs when the HL's arent that bad but I have been scared to try that on that type just based on my lack of experiance and fear of having to start from scratch again if they dont turn out right after 3000.

I just really wish I could find something that I could do faster on dlr lots. I could get far more cars done. BUT, I dont want to take any chances on less of a quality job or the HL's turning while on the lot. It takes one customer who bought a car from them to come back and compain after they bought the car that the HL's turned a couple of weeks after they took delivery to scar my rep or even worse, have them fire me.
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

There are times that i go back over sections of a lens after I finish with the 3000 polishing pad. I dont start with the lowest. I may use a 1200 or 1500 pad. I 've even backed up after using a 1200 pad to a 320 or 500 if I didnt like the feel of the lens or a certain look. Iam more concerned sometimes about the appearance than the owner. I have a customer to do this Saturday, that will be the 4th for the family not including several referrals of fiends. I've done the grandparents, children and grandchildren, all by referrals. Good public relations and professional service will pay off. HLR has been slow the past month but WSR has been up. Thats why I post that the two work hand n hand to keep you recession proof and money flowing in. I haven't been marketing like I should for the past few months. I've had the granddaughter visitng and a 2 year old is a hand full for granddad. I will be in San Diego in a few weeks for a IRS seminar. I will get back on track after that.
blemon56

Post by blemon56 »

I'm a newbee to HLR... Those of you working in dealer lots or parking lots... How do you power your sander/hair dryer/fan?

Bill Lemon
ChipMech
WCR & HLR