Interesting Stories

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
DavidB
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Interesting Stories

Post by DavidB »

Hey Everyone! So I ran into an old acquaintance the other day, who I had not seen since I started my business.
We began to discuss windshield repair, and he said anytime he's ever got a chip, he's simply covered it with clear nail polish. He said this is what he was told to do, and none of his chips have ever spread.
I kinda laughed (because I have never heard this), and told him I was pretty confident that the polish wasn't key and he has probably just been very fortunate. I told him that regardless, it didn't improve the visual appearance of the chip and most importantly, it didn't restore the structual integrity of the windshield.

I was just curious as to what other stories you guys have heard throughout the years, when it comes to what people insists works.

DavidB
jhickman1
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Interesting Stories

Post by jhickman1 »

A friend of mine said he rubs transmission fluid into a crack to hide it. He admitted that it only hides it for a day or two and it washes out very easily.
J. Hickman
Liberty Auto Glass
Fayetteville, NC
Eco Steam
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Interesting Stories

Post by Eco Steam »

My favorite answer I get regularly from folks here is,"I'm not worried about that chip, it doesn't have any cracks coming off, it's not gonna do anything". I've even had customers get a chip repaired, and they had 1 or multiple additional, but they didn't want to repair the others because they didn't have cracks....$10 per additional was too much I'm guessing.

As for what customers have put on their windshields.....

- Clear caulking for your house along a 10" crack
- Duct tape that has been in 100+ degree weather for several weeks until repair was completed
- Customers get the idea that if they put tape on the inside along crack or chip that it will not crack out
- I've seen many with Super Glue

I'm sure theres been others, but I can't remember them all :)

ATX