Marketing

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Re: New to business.

Post by Anonymous »

I am new to the windshield repair industry, and have heard many different opinions on the best way to market my services. Some recommend focusing on high-volume fleet accounts. Others say focus on high-end retail customers.

Does anyone have any advice on how to market to either of these groups? What groups have you seen/had the most success with?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Marketing

Post by Guest »

Saamy,

As you said, there are MANY different ways to go. Most of our customers lean towards either fleet accounts or they set up pop up tents at busy areas (and bill insurance). Of course, now that I say that, we'll have a ton of people swear up and down that used car dealers are the way to go!

Fleet accounts are very nice because you can work in a lot of repairs at one time & place, usually at a slightly discounted price.

Pop ups are nice, you can charge more and not have to charge your customers anything! Easier sell that way...

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
jhiggins@deltakits.com
http://www.deltakits.com
Anonymous

Re: Marketing

Post by Anonymous »

Saammy,

There are numerous strategies for building your business but I believe the quickest way to jumpstart your marketing efforts is to purchase Ron Ipach's marketing package. It's geared to windshield repair with tons of great ideas.

We purchased this package in 1997 and have built a profitable business utilizing many of Ron's ideas. Many of our large fleet clients were landed by using his 3-part sales letter (yes, it really works!).

I see he has one for sale on eBay for alot less than we paid - cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/w...1862015205

By the way, we paid over $500 when we bought it and completely covered our cost using just one of his strategies the first month we had it.

Good luck,

Mike Burstein
Dominion Windshield Repair
http://www.ChipDr.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I have a 10 x 12 foot tent in a large parking lot, near a very busy intersection. I have been in the same location for two years. I have "windshield repair" signs facing both streets. On the tent, my signs read "Free, with most insurance". Business was OK to start with, but has steadily grown as people realized that I was here to stay. A tent with lots of signs is as good as a advertising billboard. Now I get a lot of return business and referral business, averaging 10 cars a day. I use tools from a variety of manufacturers. All of them work very well.

Marketing

Post by Guest »

Mr. Glass,

If you don't mind me asking, what do you have to pay for a location like that? We tell people when they buy our products that the tent is a good idea, but we certainly like to get a feel for what people are having to pay and revenues that people *could* make.

Thanks, and glad to have you here!

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
jhiggins@deltakits.com
http://www.deltakits.com
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

We've done it in Denver. My bigggest problem is I can't handle sitting around waiting for people to come by. I set up a site by an oil change facility and we we're going to pay the guy $600 a month. Boredom set in pretty quick and I had to hit the streets again.

Cold calling is the most effective way for me. Good old fashion door to door selling. Business to Business. When I get burned out on selling I spend time setting up marketing partnerships with other local businesses. We're a small shop of 5 people and I have to come up with ways of keeping installers and repair guys (me) busy.

So the tent thing may work for some people but not me. It's to boring sitting around waiting.
Anonymous

marketing

Post by Anonymous »

I pay $300 per month for my location. I agree that boredom is a major factor that must be overcome. When I don't have a car under the tent, I try to always be doing something else. I wash my car, clean my tools, work on some hobby project, anything to keep me moving, thus attracting attention. I don't sit down and read which makes you blend into the background. I always ask previous customers to stop by in a few weeks so that I can check out my repair. Many of them do, thus giving the illusion that I always have a customer. Before and after my time at the tent, 10 am to 4 pm, I visit business and explain my service. It's not just a matter of throwing up a tent and automatically people will stop.
Anonymous

Tent Rent

Post by Anonymous »

You mentioned Denver, just curious about your company name. I operate in the Thornton-Northglenn area. You can e-mail at garyandlinda@qwest.net if you don't want to post that info on the board.

Thanks,
Gary Bell
Glasspro Windshield Repair
720-275-3542