Crack Repair 101

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Crack Repair 101

Post by candyman »

Screenman, that must be a fleet account. I seem to remember you do mainly fleets. A lot of guys around here dont have many fleet accounts that pay that well. I know a few Techs that make good money doing Auction lots prior to a sell. However they dont do many cracks longer than 8-10 inches. Some of the auction sites dont even do WSR. The car sells as is. Two of my dealers buy as is, then they call me only when its an issue with the customer, while others have me repair it prior to putting on their lot. Either way they get a repair more affordable than a individual cold call. It is more time consuming to do a long crack. Iam working on my technique & method for a logging truck company. Truck (tractor)glass seems to be a lot different than autos, buses or motor homes. Some of them are half size and flat while others are full and curved or slanted. I know a lot of the guys can ask some D--- questions but some dont think first or bother to research the information. You know this stuff from the school of hard knocks. We do learn when you speak. Several of the people in my area that decided to get kits a few years ago, after they saw me doing it have vanished. They thought it was a get rich quick business, with no or little work involved. They were going to live off the insurance referrals or dealers. They didnt realize they had to actually generate leads and learn a skill. You have a great day. 14 dgs and ice covered roads this morning on the east coast.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Crack Repair 101

Post by GlassStarz »

I never used to do cracks when I lived in Vermont they have annual inspections and damaged windshields don't pass. Now I do quite a few big fleets get blasted and want to put of replacement if possible. Many have stickers for scales or inspections that can't be saved. Border crossovers the,same problem. Lots of them I pass on but like Graham says there are a bunch of fleet work out there. Personal cars not so many