cold weather

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Re: GlassComp

Post by Anonymous »

I have a real problem and I wonder if is there anybody who can help me. When I'm doing cracks in the winter almost half of them do not resist. Because of the cold weather (the winters is really bad over here) the repairs do not resist. After coming form outside I keep the cars in my shop long enough to adjust to the room temperature (20 Celsius degrees) as I can make the repair. After the car is going outside (minus 15 Celsius degrees) the cracks do not resist to the difference between the temperature in the car when is driving and the temperature outside. Sometimes the cracks reapers even if the car just stays a night out, as my customer says. I do not have any problems with the same repairs in the summer, advising my clients not to wash the windshield with cold water when the car has been in the sun. Appreciate any advice.
Anonymous

cold weather

Post by Anonymous »

raulioanopris,

Assuming you are dotting all your i's and crossing all your t's while repairing the crack then one would have to look at the resin as the culprit. Contact your supplier for TDS's for temp. properties and related info.

Some things to think about:

Are you prepping the damage? removing moisture etc.

Are you stop drilling? relieving the stress.

How old is the resin?

Has the resin been compromised?

Are you curing under pressure or not? Try the opposite of what you are doing.

Are you curing long enough?

Is the lamp intensity good?

Hope this helps.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]
Anonymous

Re: cold weather

Post by Anonymous »

Going from extreme cold into a heated environment causes condensation to occur on the glass. This is the same thing that happens when you take a glass mug from the freezer on a warm day to serve your favorite favorite beverage (frosty-cold root beer?). This moisture is even inside the crack (air contains moisture=cracks contain air). Along with the good advice already posted, you should also be sure the crack is dried out before attempting to repair it.
I assume that indoors you are using a UV lamp for the curing process? Be sure your bulbs are fresh, and your batteries also if you use batteries, and allow ample time for the curing process. Often the resin on the outside of the glass will be cured, but inside the crack it can still be immature.