Can this windshield be repaired ?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
CumminsDiesel
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Can this windshield be repaired ?

Post by CumminsDiesel »

Hi Folks,

My windshield has a clean crack that is about 6-7 inches long . Can this be repaired ?

Thanks guys,
Mike
EMCAutoGlass

Re: Can this windshield be repaired ?

Post by EMCAutoGlass »

Yes, most likely. What caused the crack? Is there an impact point? My concern is that it's a stress crack, but it doesn't appear to be one from the pictures. If it's not a stress crack, yes it's repairable, but most technicians would pass and refer you for a replacement. Personally, I enjoy fixing cracks and do quite well with them, plus I get to charge a little more, so it's worth it to me. Let me know if you're in the central Ohio area and I'll fix you up.

-Marty
clearquest

Post by clearquest »

seen them from the mirror mount crack on the inside. if so, no
CumminsDiesel

Post by CumminsDiesel »

Thanks for replying. I am in Western NY. There is no impact point that I can see. On more than one occasion a stone/rock has hit the windshield so hard I was surprised it didn't break. It probably cracked as a result of one of those hits.

I really would like to get this fixed as opposed to replacing the whole windshield. I don't mind paying a little bit more for the right person to do a great job.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Impact or no impact point, a short crack in that location can be repaired if it is in the outer layer of glass. clearquest has a very valid point about the possible cause of the crack having to do with the mirror bracket. I have seen a number of similar cracks caused by someone bumping the mirror a bit too hard with a head, elbow, box or some other object. It's not technically impossible to repair if the crack is in the inside layer of glass but very few technicians will attempt it, nor should they in my opinion.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
CumminsDiesel

Post by CumminsDiesel »

Greatly appreciate your input. I looked outside and saw no impact points . It is possible that a child could have bumped their head against the rear view mirror when I wasn't around. The kids like to play in the care every once in a while.

If there is no impact point should I replace the glass ? I don't mind spending more money for better glass. Any suggestions as to how I find a good installer ?

Thanks guys
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Can you feel the crack on either the inside or the outside of the windshield?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
CumminsDiesel

Post by CumminsDiesel »

I can definitely feel the crack on the inside. Not sure If I can feel it on the outside.

Thank you !
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

In that case I recommend replacing it. As for better glass, higher quality usually refers to the fit and finish rather than how hard it is to break. If you find a reputable glass installer he/she can tell you what brand they prefer and why. I had certain brands I preferred for certain vehicles but everything has changed and I have been out of the replacement side too long to have a preference these days.

If I did not know where to find a good glass installer in my town I would call a few auto glass suppliers and ask for a couple of referrals from each. They may be hesitant to single out any one customer but they shouldn't mind giving you a few names of installers with good reputations. You could also ask reputable body shops or high end car dealerships who they recommend. Some won't want to tell you but I think most are willing to give a referral.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

If the crack is on the inside of the glass I will turn it away and recommended replacement.
This doesn't occur a lot but it will fool you if you don't check it out.