Perspectives

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Re: Direct Billing Letter

Post by Anonymous »

Before becoming interested in this business, I had opportunity to have my windshield repaired twice.
The first was about 15 years ago. The car was only 2 days old when it got hit by that rock :">
The second time was about 4 months ago when my new truck was only a month old. :"> :">

I have learned so much in my research of this business opportunity and a great deal of "real" info has been gathered from this forum.
What's interesting from both of my own cases, is that people would sit in my vehicle and say "you should get that fixed before it spreads." Well the answer was the same in both cases...it is fixed. Now in both instances I was not too concerned with the appearance...as both were new, I just did not want those factory seals broken at such an early stage. I just wanted the chips to not spread so that I could keep that original seal and avoid the expense of replacement. In the case of the car 15 years ago, it was a new import and the replacement windshield would have been over $800.
I was told to keep my comprehensive insurance as the rear hatch window of that car would have been over $2000 to replace

The repaired spots have not spread (knocks wood in the case of my new truck) so I'm content with that.

However I have learned from my research that:
A) Neither of the repairs I had done were properly prepped (cleaned, dried, scribed etc).
B) The combo break I had most recently probably should have been drilled a little first, as there is very little difference between the before fix and after fix appearance. As well, I suspect that the resin used in that case was probably not at the right temperature to spread correctly.
C) Both used very "hands off" methods of the electric pumps with hoses and timers.
D) In the most recent case, pit polish was not used. Can't remember in the first case.

Figured I'd share my experiences as a WS repair customer as maybe there might be lessons to be learned from those accounts.

Haith
Canada
Anonymous

Perspectives

Post by Anonymous »

Haith, thanks for your input.

From what you have described, it sounds as if neither of those repairs was done properly. I am not familiar with procedures from as long ago as 15 years, however, your most recent one certainly should have turned out better.

The computerized systems with all the bells and whistles (in my opinion) arent worth a stick of stove wood. The computer cant see when the repair is filling properly, it is simply programmed to cycle a couple of times. There is still supposed to be the human element overseeing the job, and switching to manual mode if necessary to accomplish a proper repair. Unfortunately, there is a great tendency to total reliance on the machine, and the 'tech' busies him/herself with the paperwork or a smoke break or jabbers with the customer until the cycles are complete. Then s/he packs up and leaves, and the customer is left with the results. If questioned, the 'tech' says something to the effect of 'that's the type of break it is, it doesnt get any better' .

I would suggest that if you need another repair done, dont call the same company back. It doesnt sound as if they have a clue about what makes a good repair.

You said "before becoming interested in this business...." ... does that mean that you are now in the repair business yourself? If so, welcome! I wish you much success.

Grace

Grace
Anonymous

re: perspectives

Post by Anonymous »

Haith,

I also agree with Grace. This is a hands on trade. A computer does not know when to manipulate the break or add heat or any other techniques used.

The world is becoming automated enough in alot of good ways. This in my opinion is not one of them.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]