Hubby doing fine...

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
gold star wsr

Hubby doing fine...

Post by gold star wsr »

Hello everyone,
My husband underwent knee replacement surgery on Tuesday (Jan 25), and is doing very well, although he did have an incredible amount of pain the first 24 hours. They had him up and walking yesterday, and more today. We expect to bring him home possibly on Saturday.
The surgeon talked to me when it was over, and said "Everything about your husband is tough... his skin is tough, his muscles are tough, his bones are tough... having strong bones is very good."
He is now officially retired from truck driving because of this, but he's not 'out to pasture' yet... plans on doing something else...maybe working with me, as soon as he is able.
If anyone out there has gone through this already, please feel free to post encouragement for him.
Thanks in advance, Grace
drbonz55

Re: Hubby doing fine...

Post by drbonz55 »

Hey there Gold Star WSR I am an orthopedic PA I have an idea what he is going through give him my best regards the first 72 hours are the worst but tell him the sooner he moves and gets as much flexion in his knee the better he will be in the long run. I know that is a tall order right now!! but use the pain meds to combat the pain and work the knee. mobility helps prevent blood clots and pneumonia. if you have any questions feel free to ask, I sure have benefited from your posts.!! good luck and God bless him
Dan
autocosmetics
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by autocosmetics »

Hi Grace,

This is the wife of autocosmetics. I just wanted to encourage your husband to hang in there, it will get easier as time goes on. I've had both hips and both knees replaced, and knee replacement is much harder and more painful. I had both knees done at once, and I remember saying at the time that I'd never do it again. But that was back in 1996, and I would do it again in a second! The benefits of having no pain and being able to do things I couldn't do before far outweighs the pain after the surgery. The most important thing is to work really, really hard at any physical therapy, even when it hurts so bad you can't stand it. Before my surgery I was so bad that I could barely walk and rarely was able to even leave the house---now I can walk without pain and do almost everything that I couldn't do before. Because of what the surgeon said about your husband's physical condition, he should have excellent results. Take care!
Gr8tTech

Post by Gr8tTech »

I went through knee replacement...It's a very painful process, but it's worth it in the end.

Keep him in good spirits and lucky for you, you might have just gained a business partner out of it!

We will keep you guys in our prayers
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

Thanks everyone... that sound you hear is me, blowing kisses to you all !!!
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Gold Star,

First I'd like to say your husband is a very lucky guy to have you by his side. Your a great example of a loving, caring wife and friend.

I personally never had any knee or hip replacement surgery but did have a broken neck in "92" I can only tell you I'd never wish this on anybody. It was a C-5 fracture and left me paralyzed on my left side for 7 days. I never thought about pain during those days because I only prayed to be normal again and have feeling back. I was one of the fortunate ones to have those prayers answered.

For 4 months following my release from the hospital I had a halo device attached with screws imbedded 1/2" into my scull. Was it painful? So much so that I didn't know if I could make it through the first week! But here's what I'd like to share with you and your husband going through these painful moments.

The mind never remembers pain! I took it minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day and eventually adjusted knowing that some day it would all be forgotten. When I went through this ordeal I lived on my own without the support of somebody special like you. So I know your husband is in great hands.

Wish your hubby a quick recovery and you the best, not to worry.... his pain will soon be forgotten. Just take things one day at a time!