Auto Glass Week - Too Expensive!?!?!

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
Ricersux
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Auto Glass Week - Too Expensive!?!?!

Post by Ricersux »

Anybody going to Auto Glass Week? I have several issues with what the AGRSS is doing with this trade show...I called and talked to Deb Levy and was laughed at and told I was a liar, needless to say everything I stated to her and what I have posted here and on glass bytes is 100% factual and in black and white in their own documentation. I was really looking forward to attending and meeting everyone from Delta Kits and to view the Repair Olympics but now...

So I got a flier in the mail and thought that it might be interesting to attend the Auto Glass Week show since it is relatively close to my location. After review the information and the pricing to attend I was APPALLED and felt extremely disrespected by this so called trade association! $170+ to attend?!?! ARE YOU ***** SERIOUS!!

I also received information about sponsoring the event and after looking at the rates and the current sponsors..the event has already generated close to $250,000 in sales from just sponsors, not to mention the vendor booth sales. So who is making money and benefiting from this event? Not the trade, just the association it appears.

I have been the event director for hundreds of different events over the years, including events with budgets in excess of $1,000,000 and NEVER EVER have I seen a fee like this to attend an INDUSTRY SPECIFIC TRADE SHOW! Events DO NOT PROFIT from attendees...they are to make their expenses back from the sponsors and exhibitors. Trying to make up your budget short fall on the attendees is despicable and the association should be embarrassed.

Seriously, has anyone here actually benefited from this event in which they feel that closing their shop down and sending employees to the show is cost effective training @ $170 per employee?

I also attend the largest trade show in the world which is held in Las Vegas called the SEMA show. They utilize 1,000,000 sq. ft. and have an attendance of over 60,000 individuals - how much does it cost to attend? $25 yep just $25. Again, can anyone tell me why it should cost US (the people actually putting in the glass) almost 8 times as much to attend the auto glass week show? I am so tired of the the associations in this business acting like they help us, all they seen to be interested in is how they can get more money from the trade.

I wouldn't give them a penny at this point, nor would I attend the show if they offered to pay my way including hotel and expenses. NO WAY! I don't take to being spit in the face very well. And that is exactly how I and all of you should feel!

Thoughts?
-Eric
CLEARVU INC.
Indianapolis, Indiana