Questions about Paint touch-ups

The Windshield Repair Forum water cooler for topics that do not belong in another forum. Feel free to put your feet up, relax, and get to know each other!
brent
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Questions about Paint touch-ups

Post by brent »

Do you guys also do automotive paint touch-ups? If you do, can you share what system are you using and are you happy with it?

Besides planning to get into the WSR, I also want to do paint touch-ups. I think it should be easier to learn than the WSR. I would be glad to hear your inputs...
Another newbie
brent

Re: Questions about Paint touch-ups

Post by brent »

I have found something that might worth to have a look. It's from DuPont (http://pc.dupont.com/performanceallianc ... epair.html).
Another newbie
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

I don't do paint touch ups myself but have customers who do. I also know a guy that was trained in paintless dent repair, wheel repair and paint touch up but is so busy doing the paint touch ups that he rarely did paintless dent repair or wheel repair. He says the paint touch ups are much easier and there is plenty of demand and profit to make it worthwhile. It also ties in very nicely with windshield repair and HL restoration in my opinion.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

I found paint touch up very hit and miss, it is very low skilled so normally means low pay.There is masses of limitations on the colors you can do well, silvers, golds, some reds, light blues and the lsit goes on seldom looks good in touch, understanding how metalics, miacs's and tri colors work will tell you what I mean.

For sure like Brent I know od one guy making a living from touch up, I know lots doing well from WSR and even more doing well with PDR, PDR being the hardest by far to learn, take a year of 3 hours per day and you are getting to first step of the ladder.

Charge wise same as a WSR over here, time wise 3 or 4 times as long to do the job.
brent

Post by brent »

Pdr is surely very difficult to master but when one is skillful he then will have a chance to make an extreme nice living. I'm planning to learn pdr with hot glue pulling and will not be doing any dent bigger than a two euro coin. I'm not sure but I think smaller dent is a bit easier to repair?

About paint touch-up, is the airbrush system better than the system like Dr. Colorchip or Applied Colors?
Another newbie
screenman

Post by screenman »

Every dent is hard, some are just a little easier. Some small dents are sometimes the hardest of all, PDR is good in that it puts a skills barrier in place that the others do not.
brent

Post by brent »

Has anyone tried or familiar with F.A.S.T System paint touch up kit?
Another newbie
screenman

Post by screenman »

Not a lot of silvers in there, I asked this company for a small sample of their clear coat system, they would not send it out to me, this says a lot. This is the last and best system I used before packing on doing touch up.

I have also tried and owned SSR, Imac, Applied Colours, and many more.