Headlight restoration?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
GTECH

Re: Headlight restoration?

Post by GTECH »

Hi,
The headlight restoration is a great add on. I have been providing this add on service for the past 4 years, i am on the east coast, so it is seasonal, unless you have a place to do the repair indoors. I use IPS System ( modified )it take about an hour to do a set of headlights, from start to finish, there are quit a few products out there that claim to be the best and you can do the repair in record time 10- 15 min :) I have seen some of the finished work, and I generally get the calls to fix what was done.you can do very well depending on how you market yourself. I have a 50 70 mile radius on all my work but with this add on I sometimes go the extra mile.I charge 60 per dealer ( used )/ 95 -120 retail.I have a BMW dealership that pays me 85 per light, I average 4 5 cars per week, now BMW cars headlights are pitted, it took me a while to get the technique down to repair this type, and every one has a clear coat put on them, the results is amazing.So, there is plenty of work out there, what you put into it is what you will get back, and you can have the top of the line repair kit in the world, But if you don't know how to use it and have the ability to let the equipment do the work, then you are just wasting your time.I hope that this sheds some light on this topic, and if anyone would like more information, feel free to contact me. I also have a special advertising technique for this sell it better.
wilz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by wilz »

I also have a special advertising technique for this sell it better
Gtech, could you share this with us here?
Preaching the Gospel of Windshield Repair.
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

There is a saying a picture is worth a thousand words, and seeing is believing,let me just say that the headlight restoration is an add on to my current windshield repair business, and being diversified in today's market is important.When I first started that back in 1992, I spent a small fortune in advertising to get started, looking back on that, and looking at what worked and most cost effective the headlight restoration was no different.As I introduced the HL restore to the dealerships, most of them then looked at me as if I was crazy as to this service I was offering them,so as I was doing some HL repairs, I got my digital camera and took some before/after pic's of the repairs, and put the pic's on a business card which I designed, along with a 4x8rack card. ( which I distributed in most of the auto parts stores and inspection stations, or where ever I could leave a stack of cards )Now I researched a company that would print them for me, I had them printed both sides, uv coating/water-proof business and rack cards.I also got a headlight from a junk yard, I made sure that it was really trashed, scratched , yellowed, pitted,and opaque.I then only restored half of the HL, and left the other half as is, and as I was going to dealerships, and introduce the HL restoration service to the general sales manager, and most times the owner , I would show them the HL , and the response is lets take a walk and see what needs to be repaired on the lot, by doing this they can actually see a headlight before and after. I hope that this information sheds some light on this subject.

Good Luck to All........
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Sanding and Polishing, are you doing it by hand? I see pitt is using a cornwall air grinder, is anyone using electric mini sanders/buffers? Id appreciate a brand and model number. Thanks.
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

There is a saying a picture is worth a thousand words, and seeing is believing,let me just say that the headlight restoration is an add on to my current windshield repair business, and being diversified in today's market is important.When I first started that back in 1992, I spent a small fortune in advertising to get started, looking back on that, and looking at what worked and most cost effective the headlight restoration was no different.As I introduced the HL restore to the dealerships, most of them then looked at me as if I was crazy as to this service I was offering them,so as I was doing some HL repairs, I got my digital camera and took some before/after pic's of the repairs, and put the pic's on a business card which I designed, along with a 4x8rack card. ( which I distributed in most of the auto parts stores and inspection stations, or where ever I could leave a stack of cards )Now I researched a company that would print them for me, I had them printed both sides, uv coating/water-proof business and rack cards.I also got a headlight from a junk yard, I made sure that it was really trashed, scratched , yellowed, pitted,and opaque.I then only restored half of the HL, and left the other half as is, and as I was going to dealerships, and introduce the HL restoration service to the general sales manager, and most times the owner , I would show them the HL , and the response is lets take a walk and see what needs to be repaired on the lot, by doing this they can actually see a headlight before and after. I hope that this information sheds some light on this subject.
wilz

Post by wilz »

Thanks GTECH.
Preaching the Gospel of Windshield Repair.
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

wilz;23545 wrote:Gtech, could you share this with us here?
Bois

Post by Bois »

Buffing headlights and then applying a coating itself may not do the trick. I have found that you have to remove all of the old UV protective coating first and then buff. Otherwise, it's like painting a house without removing all the old, pealing paint. The new paint job won't last.

I use an 3" orbital palm sander with various grit sandpaper disks (3M). I built a variable speed control box for better sanding control. If the headlights aren't too pitted, I hand sand. I use Dvelup's UV coating - 2 year warranty.
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
AGSS

Post by AGSS »

for those who use the rightlook system, I have found the kit listed at $200 at their website. How many headlights can you get done with this kit before you have to reorder supplies? and which supplies tend to run out first?
toab

Post by toab »

I just started using their clear only and pieced together the rest of my headlight repair kit myself to save money and shipping costs.Damn good stuff so far.(rightlook)