Headlight restoration?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
chips1144

Re: Headlight restoration?

Post by chips1144 »

"I use an 3" orbital palm sander with various grit sandpaper disks (3M). I built a variable speed control box for better sanding control. If the headlights aren't too pitted, I hand sand. I use Dvelup's UV coating - 2 year warranty".

What brand and model DA?

How long does it take you on average?

What do you charge?

THANKS...
GTECH

Post by GTECH »

Hi,
I use IPS system ( modified ) you can check around, but you will not find any system that comes close, send me your tel # and the best time to call, i will call you.

Gtech
AGSS

Post by AGSS »

Has anyone ever tried basic urethane clear coat? I know this method would be horrible for mobile stop and go companies. But in a fixed position all day it may work out.
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

basic uerothane clearcoat is what the "joey bag of donuts' use for a quick job.. it is meant for using for painting not for plastic..it will dull and peel..guy from south carolina uses that with quick sand and spray charges 10.00 a light..he comes from s.c. because he messed them all up and is up here doing the same
AGSS

Post by AGSS »

Wow sorry to hear that. It was just a thought.
I am having trouble with these wipe on clears and restorers. Just looking for something to spray on that will give a nice even streek free coat.
jonnyques

Post by jonnyques »

AGSS there is NO subsitute for elbow grease. If you want just a wipe on, your better not to offer the service to customers. They won't be happy. I have seen the Develope system at the MTE this year. It looked just OK. The IPS still produces superior results. Spend the money, get a good proven system, and go steal your competer's customers. When they see the care and quality you can deliver with headlights, getting the glass work will be easy.
grouselab

Post by grouselab »

jonnyques;24128 wrote:AGSS there is NO subsitute for elbow grease. If you want just a wipe on, your better not to offer the service to customers. They won't be happy. I have seen the Develope system at the MTE this year. It looked just OK. The IPS still produces superior results. Spend the money, get a good proven system, and go steal your competer's customers. When they see the care and quality you can deliver with headlights, getting the glass work will be easy.
Do you have the IPS website? I would like to check it out.

Thanks
Darren
AGSS

Post by AGSS »

jonnyques;24128 wrote:AGSS there is NO subsitute for elbow grease. If you want just a wipe on, your better not to offer the service to customers. They won't be happy. I have seen the Develope system at the MTE this year. It looked just OK. The IPS still produces superior results. Spend the money, get a good proven system, and go steal your competer's customers. When they see the care and quality you can deliver with headlights, getting the glass work will be easy.
Perhaps I was mis-understood.

I am not looking to get out of work, I do wet sand with various grit sand paper, I use plastix to polish. next i am using shine restorer by Rightlook. However no matter how thin I apply, then re-apply, I am still getting streaks and slight cloudiness! I have tried buffing after cure very little difference.

So I was looking o something maybe to spray on out of a air gun, like a airbrush that would evenly coat the lens and provide protection streak free.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Bois »

Dvelup's Clear Wipe & CW Slicker mixed 50/50 and applied with a lint free paper towel (blue shop towel works good). No mess; no streaks; no over-spray. Cost? Under $85 - enough for 80 cars. 2 yr warranty. Negative side - it is a little messy to mix in a small, disposable paper cup.
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
AGSS

Post by AGSS »

**UPDATE
On Clearcoating Headlights.

A friend of mine who has done headlight restoration for over 8 years dropped by to see how I was doing with my venture in the HLR businesss.

to make a long story short, he showed me his 'personal' headlights on his 2002 Dodge caravan (this is what he works out of), both headlights looked good, but one looked great!

He told me that last year he did an experiment with his lights. both were pyramid wet sanded one was cleared using a popular HLR clear. The other was sprayed on with PPG clear. Guess which one looked great, The PPG clear!

The headlight with the PPG looked almost 'wet' it was soooo shiny!

BTW, the one with PPG was treated with pre-cleaner, before spraying.

He also give me some pamplets he hands out after doing a customers lights, explaning after care instructions like monthly wax, warranty ect.